Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skorb View Post
    yeah you have to love playing to stick with it

I love playing, but there are always people who don't.... like the drummer who consistently shows up 20 minutes late. Or the arrogant vocalist with the attitude problem. And having to deal with these ingrates because these are the hardest people to replace. Then when they do all show up, getting them and keeping them on the same page can be another challenge in and of itself. More often than not, they want to write and play everything they hear on the radio. The same crap everyone else writes and plays.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

As of right now, I am the area manager of a company that calibrates laboratory equipment (Mainly Pipettors) As of the first of the year, I was assigned to a territory in a state that I don't even live in so, for the forseeable future, I've had to put my band aspiritions on an indefinate hold until I find a job where I'm not living out of a suitcase.
      Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

I'm in a band that gigs about once a month. Still haven't found a paying gig, but it's fun to play out. www.myspace.com/cyborgplanet

Day job is software developer.
        Scott

Comment

By day I'm a mild mannered guitar fixer. I own a fairly busy repair shop ( about 100- 130 repairs a month) and do all the work myself. I do have some sales but I keep them to a minimum since its a PITA. After my normal 16 hour day I'm usually too pooped to even think about playing much less playing out.I did gig a lil in the 80's and have filled in at a couple shows for a set or two.
          Band life just isn't for me.

Comment

I'm in what I'd classify as an active band (UNTAYMED)although we do about one show a month. We do 99% originals but will occasionally throw in a Dokken or Ratt song in our set lists. This band has been around since about '92. We enjoy it and do it for fun. Have rehearsal every Tues. night and try to schedule weekend shows.

Check us out on myspace:

UNTAYMED's profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.
            2 BC Rich USA Gunslinger's-lightning bolt graphic
            BC Rich USA Mockingbird-candy apple red metallic
            BC Rich USA STIII-gray snakeskin
            Ibanez RG770DX-lazer blue
            Kramer Sustainer American-black

Comment

I started playing with a band and we are ramping up to do a bunch of shows in Frankfort, IN. We are roughly 50:50 covers to originals right now and we are recording some demo tracks, myspaz page to follow.

Comment

I'm in an original band - melodic death metal or blackened death metal or whatever you want to call it - that gigs very infrequently. We've gone from being signed to almost "new band night" status due to non-musical issues, and now our drummer left, but we are making good progress on a new album and have a tour-ready drummer lined up for once the album is finished. There are tons of metal bands in our area, so we try to stick to playing festivals, benefit shows and local tour support slots rather than filling the calendar with weekly shows at the same one or two venues. The number of metal bands here is several orders of magnitude larger than the audience, unfortunately.
                sigpic

Comment

i am in an original hard rock band called "autumn's pain". our last show was in february...we opened for the smithereens. it was cool. we fired our drummer the next day. we took the summer off to relax a bit, started auditioning guys at the end of july. tomorrow our "choice" has his 3rd call back - his last one...if he nails those tunes as he has the others, he's in, and we're back to business. we are ramping up for an autumn tour with the UK band, "king of spain". should be fun.

GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I play in a usually busy metal cover band called Jekylls Hyde..... I say usually because we're getting ready for an extended break. After 11 years of going strong a couple guys are just burnt out and need time off. Me, I don't need or want a break or any time off....lol But from their point of view I do understand.
                    JEKYLLS HYDE's profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.

So for the first time in 11 years I'm piecing together a cover/original project I'll be putting the guitar down to front. Different covers than J.H. more technical and vocal oriented stuff covers in the lines of Nevermore, Lamb of God, of course Megadeth and maybe Symphony X....I think you get the idea.

When the break is over, Jekylls Hyde will be back and I'll have 2 bands.
                    Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

I've been playing in bands since 1979, took several years off in the mid to late 90's to finish my degrees. In 1995 and 96 I played Ace Frehley in a KISS tribute band. Started playing again with friends in 2003, mostly writing and recording. My new band is a bunch of friends I've played with for years on and off, we get along great, there's no BS, no attitude, no egos. Three of us were in the KISS tribute band, lol. We write originals but play mostly covers. We've been together for a couple of years. I'm a Licensed Professional Counselor by day, and a rockstar wanna-be on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and when we play, lol! I run a Music Therapy program at the hospital where I work and the kids love it. I get to play guitar all day! Shameless plug - http://www.myspace.com/projectdorian

Comment

its cool to see all these people with different professions (bank managers ect.) still find time to play a gigs

Comment

correction, play gigs

Comment

Originally posted by RR666 View Post
                            its cool to see all these people with different professions (bank managers ect.) still find time to play a gigs
                            their zimmer frames provide a great place to mount to their lap steels too, the old farts
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Currently in a cover/ originals band that we just got going then had to move out of state to take care of a family member but once I get back home we'll be back at it again. It's been a tough go as I just recently got divorced after 9 years and all the playing I got to do was at home. Jealous women make terrible musicians wifes.
                              I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

I play in a black metal band called MORA
                                http://www.myspace.com/morabm

Check out the videos, because the songs, that are on the player are old
                                songs that were played in by Nazgul(forum member)...

Hope you guys enjoy it..

I`m going to post a thread very soon about my Death Metal project... Be prepared.
                                Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Working...
                                X