No announcement yet.

Another nominee for the Darwin Award...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another nominee for the Darwin Award...

Car set ablaze after Joliet woman used lighter to check gas can level
    By Lee Filas | Daily Herald StaffContact writer
    Published: 8/28/2009 8:17 AM | Updated: 8/28/2009 8:17 AM

A 27-year-old Joliet woman is suffering from second-degree burns after using a lighter to check the fuel level in a gas can she was filling while the can was resting inside her car.

Police officials said the woman drove into a 7-11 gas station at 1609 E. Cass St. at about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday night and climbed out of her car.

She then placed the gas can on the passenger seat of the vehicle, pulled down the nozzle of the pump, and began filling the can.

About halfway through, the woman ignited a lighter to shine some light on the gas can, apparently to see how full the can was, officials said.

The can ignited from the lighter's flame and exploded, setting the vehicle's interior ablaze, officials said.

After the fire started, the woman pushed the car away from the gas pumps to apparently ensure the fire didn't spread to the gas pumps itself.

Officials said, when police and fire officials arrived on the scene, the car was located about 5-feet from the pumps and was completely engulfed in flames.

The woman was transported from the scene to Silver Cross Hospital in Joliet with nonlife threatening injuries to her wrist and thigh, authorities said.
    __________________________________________________ ______________

Seriously....there's a lot of brain-damaged people walking around on this Earth.

At least there were no children in the vehicle when this happened. Way to go lady!
    MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

I don't think you guys understand the Darwin Awards. While this woman is clearly an idiot, she lived, and may even someday produce some equally-stupid children. Or, she may have some children, who just happened to not be in the car.

The Darwin Awards is not a "nice" thing. The rules are that stupid people who die before reproducing (and producing more stupid people) or who kill their possibly (likely) stupid offspring in the process deserve an award.

You have to actually DIE (or become incapable of reproduction) to receive the Darwin award.

It is also important that they not reproduce, or that any offspring they have already had, die in the accident as well.

At best, she deserves an Honorable Mention. Maybe we'll get lucky and she'll off herself next time, and hopefully without killing any non-morons in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        I don't think you guys understand the Darwin Awards. While this woman is clearly an idiot, she lived, and may even someday produce some equally-stupid children. Or, she may have some children, who just happened to not be in the car.

The Darwin Awards is not a "nice" thing. The rules are that stupid people who die before reproducing (and producing more stupid people) or who kill their possibly (likely) stupid offspring in the process deserve an award.

You have to actually DIE (or become incapable of reproduction) to receive the Darwin award.

It is also important that they not reproduce, or that any offspring they have already had, die in the accident as well.

At best, she deserves an Honorable Mention. Maybe we'll get lucky and she'll off herself next time, and hopefully without killing any non-morons in the process.
        Well there you have it.

That was still stupid on her account.
        MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

There may be more to this story than what's being shared (the press tends to run with things and put a slant on it that is the most negative that could possibly be taken, if not outright wrong), but to butcher Gunnery Sergeant Hartman's quote, "This woman, she's silly and she's ignorant, but she's got guts and guts is enough."

Pretty badass, and thoughtful to the safety of others, frankly, pushing a blazing car away from gas pumps, while burned yourself.

She made a mess, she cleaned it up as best she could. Give her a mulligan.

Comment

Sorry I didn't bone up on the criterion for the Darwin Award. I should've just said 'Another Moron Avoids Death' or something along those lines.

Comment

Hey, while not Darwin qualifying it's still worthy of a good old point n' laugh.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                Hey, while not Darwin qualifying it's still worthy of a good old point n' laugh.
                True enough. I laughed. Just getting overly-technical with teh Darwin Award thing.

Comment

"Village Idiot" award...............
                  Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

I gotta tell you guys, it's a really good thing that they put those warning stickers on Bic lighters- Hold away from face when lighting...........

Without those, I'd look pretty fucked up right now. i feel this natural need to hold it right against my eyelashes when torching up a marlboro.
                    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I used to work at a Kmart, while I was in college, and I remember unloading some bean bag chairs, which had the following warning on the tag in big black letters:

WARNING: DO NOT INHALE OR EAT FILLING!

Are people REALLY tempted to do this? :think:

Comment

That's where all of those warnings come from, cause someone did something stupid, that most people wouldn't think of..like the one on the iron that says "Do not iron clothes while wearing them"..uhm...yeah...

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsjb View Post
                          That's where all of those warnings come from, cause someone did something stupid, that most people wouldn't think of..like the one on the iron that says "Do not iron clothes while wearing them"..uhm...yeah...
                          Essentially like those warnings on coffee cups that they may be hot.
                          "Dear Dr. Bill,
                          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

This may have been posted here a while back, but here's a guy doing the same thing with a 5000 gal. fuel truck:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The excitement starts around 1:20

Comment

I think we have a winner... sorta sad but still a winner

Comment

Working...
                              X