Smooth - Santana cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smooth - Santana cover

Video and audio not quite in synch (from two different takes). And yes, lots of funny faces being pulled .

My other signature says something funny

the Carlos tone is all there its really nice and difficult 2 reproduce - what do u put it down 2. The PRS - although i think i heard it on inner secrets way back when i think he was still playing a Gibson SG and i was driving a MGB GT - so the question i have 4 u is how did u record this and what effects processor/s amps did u use 2 get that killer tone ???

Comment

Great tone dude.
      Life can be good with right people.
      Andi Deris

Comment

Hey guys - glad you like the tone .
        It's the PRS into a Mesa Boogie MkV (in Mk I mode). There's a digital delay in the effects loop. I'm not exactly a recording expert. I just mic'd it up with a Shure SM57, into an ART Tube MP preamp, then via USB into the computer. No other effects or processing.

Comment

Awesome man! Speed and Accuracy thread FTW. About the video sync, Ive had Youtube just upload shit that way. That Warm up scale vid I posted was way out of sync when I tried to post it via Youtube, thats why I went with Flickr. Cant embed here with Flickr vids, but it least it stayed in sync with its self. Awesome tone too.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Really!? Thanks Twitch - that's made my day. I really appreciate the encouragement.
            I've seen some docs from Youtube (which I didn't bother reading at the time) about maintiaining synch between video and audio, but in this particular case it was already out of synch when I recorded it. In fact, The audio track is a separate take altogether, since I haven't yet figured out how to record video, my guitar and the backing track simultaneously. So first I recorded video and guitar, ditched the audio, and recorded my guitar along with the backing track into Garageband, then spliced that audio back on to the video. I'm thinking next time try recording into Garageband while I simultaneously record the video into iMovie, but that might just be overload for the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff View Post
              Really!? Thanks Twitch - that's made my day. I really appreciate the encouragement.
              I've seen some docs from Youtube (which I didn't bother reading at the time) about maintiaining synch between video and audio, but in this particular case it was already out of synch when I recorded it. In fact, The audio track is a separate take altogether, since I haven't yet figured out how to record video, my guitar and the backing track simultaneously. So first I recorded video and guitar, ditched the audio, and recorded my guitar along with the backing track into Garageband, then spliced that audio back on to the video. I'm thinking next time try recording into Garageband while I simultaneously record the video into iMovie, but that might just be overload for the machine.
              If you use Windows built in video recording program, will have something to do with the "webcam" or something like that, anyhow, on mine you can specify which mic it uses, so, if you have a mic plugged in usb, you can use it for the audio instead of the one in the lid(if a laptop) or monitor if one of the old CRTs with built in mic. Additionally, if using a desktop with an external mic input on the back, you can rig up a direct box with a 1/4 cable adapted for 1/8th and plug it in that way, adjust the mic volume in the audio settings in control panel and let er rip. Otherwise, youll need a special video program that allows for synchronous audio/video recording. Heres a clip that I did a while ago with the USB mic chosen instead of the mic in the lid of my laptop.

Additionally, the warm up video was done the same way.

EDIT: Just remembered you have a MAC, not sure where to go on that for recording video/audio with external mic simultaneously in one program.
              Last edited by Twitch; 02-14-2012, 04:53 PM.
              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Thanks for the info. It's similar on the Mac: I can get it to record audio via the usb port alongside the video. The problem is how to get all this to record alongside the backing track.

Comment

Hi Cliff,

I have been meaning to write some comments for this since you posted it, but life got in the way... that is pretty good and the tone is really nice. I like the Mark I mode on the Mark V as well - it's really sweet and full and crunchy. I think your hard work on the Stetina exercises is really showing. I thought the second half was the best. You might want to consider working a bit on your control of the vibrato speed in the slow parts, if I may throw a bit of advice in there as well Also, that PRS is sweet!

Comment

Hey Javert,
                    Thanks! Could you be more specific about the vibrato? I had a sneaky feeling it wasn't quite right. Do you mean it should be slower or faster? Should I actually be trying to keep the vibrato beats in time with the overall rhythm?
                    Funny you prefer the second half; it's by far the least rehearsed. In fact the very last bit is more or less improvised, with a couple of half-remembered licks from the original thrown in, since by then I'd lost patience to learn it note-for-note.

Comment

Hmmm, good question. It sounds a bit out of control, irregular maybe? In hindsight I'm not exactly sure if it's the rate or the depth that I don't like. My feeling is that it's too fast and prominent, like at 1:40. I suppose I think it should be a bit more subtle whatever that means

Maybe the vibrato is the reason I prefer the second half as the playing is a bit faster.

Speaking of Santana, I liked the whole Supernatural album, in particular Put Your Lights On, Smooth and Love of My Life (although I suppose I shouldn't admit this on a metal forum). I didn't like the most recent thing with the covers, though. That was horrible!

Comment

Okay, I'll try and work on that. I'd just watched a Tom Hess video on youtube where he was getting a really nice vibrato, really wide. I guess it takes practice .
                        I haven't heard the cover album, though in general I prefer his older stuff. I remember the first time I heard Smooth, I was shopping for a suit for my wedding. I hadn't heard Santana in years, and I heard this catchy song with the awesome guitar tone, and thought: is that Santana? I was quite pleased with myself when I found out it was and I'd identified it.

Comment

Nice work Cilff...

Mate, I think it`s time we put a microphone in front of you

Comment

Thanks . But believe me, you do not want to hear me sing...

Comment

Cliff, I want to make my 25th anniversary special with the wife. Can you come over as a surprise musical guest and play during foreplay...ummm the wife can watch!

I want the "mood" to be perfect. We'll jam..but I'm kinda like Dime/Zakk school (just crazy fast shit all over), but I'll naked....and I could dance to this.

I'll get back to you..
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X