Exp. Lead tone rec. with awful gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exp. Lead tone rec. with awful gear.

I did an experiment a couple of months ago. The purpouse was to get the best lead tone with the shityest gear I had at the moment.
    I recorded a short clip, an improvisation solo over "In My Dreams" riff.
    Gear used:
    *Jackson SL-3
    *Boss Metal Zone MT-2
    *Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-5
    *Boss Digital Delay DD-3
    these were the good things, now for the real equipment.
    *Hohner Force CD-100 (10 or 15w pracice amp, it is one of the shityest things I've ever heard, it costs max 100$)
    *The cheapest pc mic available (it costs a cople of bucks), I think somone has jumped on it and it has fallen to pieces, but I taped it back together [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    *cheap Sound Blaster soundcard in the pc
    *Cool Edit Pro 2.0

These are the pics of the recording equipment taken in the so called studio [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    http://www.hot.ee/shredentz/rig.JPG
    http://www.hot.ee/shredentz/pc.JPG

I just love the mic stand (mic between adaptors) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Ok and here is the clip

http://www.hot.ee/shredentz/lynch.mp3

Nothing special really, just one take for everything, didn't had time to make some awsome solo, just an quick impro, not my usual type of playing.

Let me know what do you think [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Re: Exp. Lead tone rec. with awful gear.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I think the tone in itself is not that bad.. little effecty but it is listenable. A lot of work it seems for such an effort..IMO, the experiment would have been complete if you had used a 50-100 dollar guitar, but I understand, it is what is onhand.
      I really need a little setup that is cheap to record into the computer with but I probably would avoid an outboard amp for demos unless it had a specific sound or needed a 'feel'

Comment

hey charvelguy, I had a cheap guitar around at that time (low-end ibanez) but I couldn't play it because the electonics didn't work on it, but I could archived almost the same sound with ibanez as I did with Jackson (I have tried it before).
        And I just plugged in and played, no eq-ing and stuff, it took a few minutes to do that clip.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

well then, proof be told, you can get a decent sound with a 'awful' or lackluster gear.

Nowadays, you got a sound like "walkin on the Sun" where they deliberately make it sound cheap and cheesy. Tore the speaker in a little amp and added fuzz. Sells a million records+

Comment

and don't forget brickwall mastering (Louder is Better), no wonder why all the new music sounds crap in the radio.

Comment

thats not that bad for using that POS computer mics [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X