My Guitars Recording Sounds Like Crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Guitars Recording Sounds Like Crap

Would buying a better soundcard for music be better?

I have a Line 6 ----> my Line In, and things sound to dark and distortion sounds like poop.
    My guitar is a LPC from the 70's with some kind of Gibson pickup, it sound dirty and crappy. A pickup upgrade might do some good, but even clean sounds bad so I need to do something with the input... any suggestions?

Re: My Guitars Recording Sounds Like Crap

Open the Audio HQ thingy in Control Panel and there should be a Master Mixer, and other options such as System EQ and Environmental sounds (reverbs and chorus effects and all that).

Also, you could be overloading your Input to the card. Open the Recording Options properties window and see if your LineIn level is maxxed out. Right click on your Speaker icon in your system tray (by the clock) and select Open Volume Control, then Options>Properties>Recording>OK, and adjust all your recording stuff (LineIn level, etc). Also make sure the "Select" box for LineIn is checked.

CoolEdit2000, a program that is no longer available but works like a dream, has an Input Level meter that shows if the Input signal is overloading, but whatever software you're using might have one as well. I think the standard Windows mixer has one, but I can't recall how to find it.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That pickup in a 70's LPC should be damn fine.

Comment

That pickup was ok when I had it [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

its not stock, its some kind of gibson pickup, says "gibson USA" on the back.

I tried that all, but it just sounds poopy, I will record some stuff and show it.

Comment

My guess is that it's NOT the pckup. A pickup is a very simple electronic device, just some magnets and wire. There are many more things that can go wrong with a Line6 or especially a computer. I wouldn't blame the pickup. Have you tried the guitar through a regular amp?

Comment

If distortion sounds like poop, you are probably overloading the input.

You have to adjust the levels, like mentioned above. Maybe you can reduce the output of your Line6 too?
              http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

As for the sound being bassy or muddy, it could be your speakers. If you've got a 3 piece PC speaker (L/R/Sub) then chances are it's been "factory tuned" to accentuate the bass, and you may have to set the System EQ (Bass/Treble controls) to something more normal.

But I'm willing to bet it's the Input being overloaded. I know Line6 says to crank the Channel Volume but that's for amps in a live setting. For recording, you have to back it down and control the volume more through the PC's controls. You might get extra noise that way (hum/hiss) but most decent audio editors can boost the volume after you record a track.

Comment

Working...
                X