Pro Tools - Firewire 1814

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Tools - Firewire 1814

I'm not sure where to put this post but this section seems like the best place for it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I finally got some studio monitors, Event TR6's and can't believe the depth and detail I was missing out on [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] after doing that figure I'd upgrade my whole recording set-up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was updating my drivers for my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card and they have a pro-tools version for M-Audio stuff. Does anyone here use Prootools and is it a more robust than say Guitar Tracks Pro 3 which I'm now using? It is cheaper than Sonar 4 and frankly i dont want fork out that money for software.

I think I going to update my card to a take advantage of using Firewire instead of a PCI card. What are the advantages of using Firewire? I'm looking at the M Audio 1814 card.

thanks in advance for any replies [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    shawnlutz.com

Re: Pro Tools - Firewire 1814

Firewire's biggest advantage is being able to remove and insert things plugged into that port without turning the computer off, and without frying anything (this property is also known as "hot swappable", hence the "Fire wire" name).
    Following a close second is the data transfer speed vs traditional PCI, Serial, and Parallel-type ports. I think it's slightly faster than the USB 2.0 spec, but not really sure on that one.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

1)(general rule) FireWire is faster then USB (see specs below)
      2) FireWire allows longer cable length then USB (limited at 2m)
      3) FireWire can power any device up 'till 45Watt where USB only 'till 2,5Watt
      ---------------------------
      USB 1.0 1,5 Mb/s
      USB 1.0 hs 12 Mb/s
      USB 2.0 480 Mb/s plug&play

FireWire 400 400 Mb/sec
      FireWire 800 800 Mb/sec
      FireWire NG 1,6-3,2 Gb/sec

Comment

thanks guys
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Firewire will get you many more channels, ease of use, compatability with a wide range of tools. As far as speed, you are currently jacked right into the PCI bus - I don't think you'll even notice a speed difference between the two.

The M-Audio card you have isn't just a I/O, it's a processor as well. Switching to FW means the audio processing chores currently handled by the card 'before' the audio hits the PCI bus, will have to be handled by your CPU/Ram.
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I'm not sure about that Nor. The 1814 had a breakout box that I'm assuming is processing the audio and the I/O's as well as built in Pre's. I'll have to check the CPU load when using the new one. I have a P4 3 GHz HT and a 1 GB or ram and I havent had any drop outs using the 2496.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...1814-main.html

I decided to get one and it should be here by Monday (sent UPS ground)
            once I get it and have it set up I'll be selling the 2496 as wellas a ART Pre-amp. I got a new pre-amp that has digital outs and I can use S/PDIF
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Cool!
              Let us know how it works!
              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I'm interested in the M Audio Firewire stuff as well. Please keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                X