Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jazzy strat clip - still testing KRKs

www.mothrastewart.com/audio/jazzstrat.mp3

One take, all the way through. Was more worried about guitar tone and mix than notes, so it's clammish. I did listen to the backing once before playing over it though. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

How's the level/tone of the strat? Sound ok? Comments? Or should I just sell these damn KRKs and go back to headphones? FYI, this is a track I downloaded off the net, I sure as hell can't record anything this good. Yet.

Pete

Re: jazzy strat clip - still testing KRKs

Sounds good. Might bring up the guitar a little. Tone was good, fit the style well and great playing as always Pete!!

Comment

Thanks man!

Comment

It sounds good to me Pete. Maybe a little less distortion/overdrive on the guitar to get the cleaner jazzier tone happening and a hair up more in the mix. I'll listen to it tonight on some better speakers where I can crank it up louder. I thought the playing was cool as hell too, nice job
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks. I started off with the volume rolled back, then added more and capped it off with a pedal in front of the amp towards the end. The first part was crystal clean compared to how I usually play [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

The guitar tone was sterile. I thought the mix "sounded" like the guitar was recorded over the top of the backing track (it was!!). It needs to be "in" the track, not over it.

Comment

You know Pete, I just listened to it again and the beginning is much better than the middle and end in terms of guitar tone and mix. For jazz, the cleaner the better.
              I think the guitar tone for the clean guitar section needs to be a little more "snappy".
              For the overdriven section the guitar tone needs to be a little smoother.
              Other than that, it sounds pretty sweet bro.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                The guitar tone was sterile. I thought the mix "sounded" like the guitar was recorded over the top of the backing track (it was!!). It needs to be "in" the track, not over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for listening. What would you recommend to make it sit better in the mix?

Pete

Comment

One thing is you're getting room reverb on the guitar but on nothing else. I'd forego the miked cab and use a direct input, or put the mic and cab in a closet.

And like the others said, I'd bring up the guitar a tad (maybe 3 numbers) and drop the gain some. The volume level you've got is good for a backing/rhythm guitar, but should be louder for a solo instrument, and there's more gain than you need for that particular track.

I posted this track once a while back and you commented on the guitar tones: http://autumn-frost.com/mp3/Blue_Silk.mp3 - not sure if you still have a copy of it, but feel free to dissect it and study the tones. Fender MexiStrat with (I was told) Fender Custom Shop pickups (not sure what models). There's really hardly any distortion - it gets most of its push from the Chorus. I did this with the ADA a few years ago, but I've most likely changed the settings since then. Plus this was recorded to analog tape, so that's a consideration as well. Still, IIRC, how you hear it here is what it sounds like on the original tape (if I can find it I'll dump the lead track if you'd like - might make it easier to pick it apart).

You can also try dropping the bass on the amp and/or bringing up the highs.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I listened to this a few more times on some better speakers and I like it. I do like the cleaner guitar more so than the heavier distorion torwards the end. I think the level is fine...great stuff. I'd like to hear it with some cleaner Larry Carlton type of tone...he's who I thought about when I heard the backing track [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks guys! I was just playing around with a boost in the front and seeing how many different strat tones I could get on the neck pickup and varying amounts of gain.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for listening. What would you recommend to make it sit better in the mix?

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Record the track direct left and mic'd off axis right. Mix down the 2 tracks in mono and dump it right in the middle of the mix. The natural reverb from the mic'd track will be perfect when mixed with the dry direct track. Thats what I would try. Was that your Vetta Pete?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Record the track direct left and mic'd off axis right. Mix down the 2 tracks in mono and dump it right in the middle of the mix. The natural reverb from the mic'd track will be perfect when mixed with the dry direct track. Thats what I would try. Was that your Vetta Pete?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Nope, wasn't the Vetta! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

The good: I liked it. Nice phrasing and note choice. I didn't mind the distorted tones either, it kinda reminded me of the Larry Carlton/Steely Dan stuff.

The bad: I know you weren't really worried about the playing aspect so much with this clip, but the bending/virbrato could use a little work. Everything else is there, but add a great vibrato/bending technique, and it would be over the top excellent! Larger guage strings maybe? Your hands could just be too strong for what you're using. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah, I usually play guitars with floating floyds. A strat with a blocked trem makes me feel stronger [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X