JSX rhythm clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSX rhythm clip

In the still of the night, I hear the JSX howl honey, sniffin' around your door...

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://www.mothrastewart.com/newaudi...henightjsx.mp3

I did doubletrack it - one guitar is an ESP MII, other is the Charvel 750XL w/EMGs. same settings on the amp for both takes, same mic placement. Only difference is the guitars. At places I did stuff to make each different than the other, especially pinch harmonics on one side.

Pete

btw, I'm not 'defending my tone' so much as trying to be a cheerleader for this amp. I REALLY like it.

Re: JSX rhythm clip

wow, It sounds bad [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
    For leads JSX is great, smooth and articulate but for rhythms, thin and fuzzy. Concidering that Still Of The Nigh has probably the best tone ever, I wouldn't use JSX on a Whitesnake cover band [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I liked it! LOL, dang! Not really doing this to compare to sykes tone, just was one of the first clips I found and I knew the rhythm part pretty well - lots of stop/start stuff, chords, etc... figured it would do good for rhythms.

man, I must be tone deaf I guess! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I thought this sounded like a thicker, more midrangey "pleasantly nasal" version of the Whitesnake tone. Damn, that's almost my ideal rhythm tone.

And finally, a backing track that has huge reverbed drums. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow. Wow. Wow.
          That sounds pretty friggin good Pete. Better than the original. Damn.

Comment

I think it sounds agressive! I like it!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Damn, Pete, you gonna send over to daddys and make me grab
              that JSX combo they have if you keep this up. (on a Whitesnake kick are we? [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img])
              I like It I thnk is sounds pretty good, What amps was sykes
              using when they recorded this album (one of all time favorite tones, f'n powerful sounding as hell!).
              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys. Sykes was using a Mesa Mark III 180 watt head I believe.

Pete

Comment

Playing is spot on.

Tone is like a thin 'overlay' of the original Boogie tone, if that's what you're going for, though, it's good.
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I like the tone and think it kicks ass Pete! Not so much to capture the WS vibe for the song but the JSX has its on thing goin on and its pretty cool to my ears.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks guys, I was going for just a high gain rhythm thing with a little more 'tooth' to it instead of the smoothness. It's a real 'in between' kinda amp - not as smooth as an XTC, not as saggy as a recto, not as tight as a VHT, not as grainy as a Mark IV, but able to kinda sit in the center, so to speak. For all out high gain mayhem I'd probably prefer a 5150, but this amp is a hell of a lot more versatile so I'll settle. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

it must be me then [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        When Bill plays some amp, the first thing he does is the Ain't Talkin' 'bout love intro, if the amp doesn't sound good for that riff then that amp isn't worth a penny even if Bill's main style is agressive metal.
                        I have the same thing with Still Of The Night, this is the frist thing I play when trying out some gear, JSX isn't even close to Sykes' Boogie tone. I would use Vetta or something instead. Pete made a Cowboys From Hell clip once, I think it sounded pretty good and tight, I belive it is better than JSX for rhythms.
                        Satch is a great lead player, mostly he plays some meedly meeldy legato lines, but not agressive rhythms. He desigend JSX for his style so I can understand why it doesn't sound good for everything. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I wasn't going for his tone - I could get pretty close with a Mark series mesa, but I just grabbed the first backing track that had a good rhythm part with some low notes. I was more interested in the parts themselves - a stop/start rhythm, some low single notes, and some muted stuff.

It's cool, we all don't hear things the same and one person's grail tone is another person's crap. Personally, I don't like Engl Powerballs, but a lot of people do. Am I wrong? No. Are they? No. It's all a matter of taste.

Pete

Comment

I agree you about the Powerball, I didn't like it even a little bit.

Comment

If you remove just a smidge of the nasal midrange tone I would say that your JSX sounds alot like my Mark III.
                              I guess you have to know how to dial them in... good job Pete.

Comment

Working...
                              X