Noob recording question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob recording question

Tried to quick reply in Newc's post, couldn't do it so here it is...I'm running a Digitech Rp100A into Soundblaster Live then out M-Audio StudioPro3 monitors using Sonar5. Now, why can I only record on the left channel? Also, I can only hear my guitar throught the left monitor...what am I missing here?
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Maybe you're using a mono cable somewhere?

Comment

Do they make a stereo 1/4 to 1/8 adapter? Would running that from my Rp to the soundcard do the trick?
      I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Hey, sorry to put it in this thread, but I thought this also applied as a noob question. I'm thinking of getting a SHure SM57 and recording to the computer. I was wondering how you're suppossed to connect the mic into the computer, like what cables and stuff?

Comment

PReferably an XLR To XLR Cable into a decent interface/soundcard. Edirol UA 25 is fantastic value for money and acts as a far better soundcard than a creative card can ever hope to dream of being able to be!

And to answer your question, Are you using your LEFT input and recording onto a stereo track? If so, don't Guitar is a mono instrument and should never (read, hardly never), be recorded onto a stereo track as there is no need.

Try creating a mono audio track in sonar then recording. It will record even a hardpanned left signal into a fully balanced mono one.

To go into more detail about the shure.

You can get XLR to 1/4 inch cables, but you would need a hi-Z booster plug to give it the kinda balls you would expect from a guitar recording.

My advice:

ditch the soundblaster altogether, buy a cheap 2 chanel USB audio interface (WITH PREAMPS) such as the Edriol UA25 and live happily ever after.

Comment

I just noticed i answered two different people's posts in one, sorry, i thought it was the same dude with 2 questions.

Comment

I second the recommendation of the Edirol UA25. The XLR inputs work really well.

Comment

I'm moving to a UA-1000 soon but the 25 cannot be beaten for home recording.

Comment

Working...
                X