Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single Recto + DFHS + TS/no TS comparison!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Recto + DFHS + TS/no TS comparison!

I've kept you guys waiting too long, and I should've done this WAY sooner. The Recto sounds so damned good mic'd up.

Some of you wanted to hear the difference between an amp with a TS and an amp with the gain up, so I did that, as well. Came out better than I expected.

This with your V30 Rivera cab as well as an EMG loaded axe?

Comment

Sounds great!! That is more mids than I have ever heard from a recto. I like the last one, it seams like less mids, different cab maybe? Jack.

P.S. What is a TS?

Comment

Damn! All those clips sound good.
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Comment

This was with an Avatar 2x12 with V30's, and a Hellraiser C7 with 707's.

TS = Tube Screamer.

That's where the mids went, byebye with the tubescreamer from that clip .

Comment

Sounds awesome brother. Now give me those damn settings!!!

Comment

TS = gain at 3.5, level at 5.5, (both were pointing towards their respective corners), tone parallel with the gain.

Recto = Modern (diode rectifier and bold for the Dualie), presence at 12:30, bass at 11:30, mids at 10:30, treble at 11:30, gain at 12:30.

I've since found better settings, actually... tighter than a gnats ass now. Presence off, treble up to about 2 o clock. I'll get some clips up when I get back from Spring Break next weekend.

Comment

I use a Tube Screamer with my Soldano. I dial down the gain to around 6 on the Soldano and I have my TS at around 3.5 too.
                  Your clips sound great.

Comment

I am going to use these settings on my ToneLab and see if I can replicate this tone...just for shits and giggles. The Recto actually sounds good on the ToneLab..better than most of the Marhshall models, but not as good as the Soldano.....

I like the River Dragon clip the best..and the last one. I compared it to the real recording...they have a bit more "fizz" and presence on the record. Of course, they are using a pro studio.

Good stuff.

Mike
                    Last edited by MBreinin; 04-06-2006, 11:22 AM.
                    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Well that could also be the fact that Andy Sneap dials his presence in higher than I do, and that album (Dead Heart In A Dead World) was done with 2 57's on a G12T75. That, and Evergrey's original Masterplan was done with a 5150.

Thanks, though! I've tried my settings on my PODxt Recto models, and it doesn't sound very good at all. I'm really sick of modellers after recording this, I need to find some way to keep it mic'd up permanently. As it is, I have to drag my PC out to the garage to mic it up. The way I have it, setup time is maybe 20-30 minutes one way, but it's a real pain in the ass.

Comment

I'm always amazed at how good your clips sound man....definitely raises the GAS for a single every time! Awesome tone and recording man.

Comment

Originally posted by DSS3
                          Well that could also be the fact that Andy Sneap dials his presence in higher than I do, and that album (Dead Heart In A Dead World) was done with 2 57's on a G12T75. That, and Evergrey's original Masterplan was done with a 5150.

Thanks, though! I've tried my settings on my PODxt Recto models, and it doesn't sound very good at all. I'm really sick of modellers after recording this, I need to find some way to keep it mic'd up permanently. As it is, I have to drag my PC out to the garage to mic it up. The way I have it, setup time is maybe 20-30 minutes one way, but it's a real pain in the ass.
                          I got something pretty decent sounding using these settings and a 4x12 Cab model with V30s. I had to use a little more gain that you did with the Tonelab...but I will say that I liked what I heard. I will have to listen to your clips more and compare. Of course, I don't know those riffs...so I was just doing something "River Dragon-esque"

The Tonelab is a different animal altogether as it actually uses a tube for the power section and the amps mimic the power structure as well as feedback structure exactly. No, it is no real Recto...but it crushes most others.

Rock on.

Mike
                          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

DSS3: Just curious why you're already wanting to unload/trade the Recto? Didn't you just get that thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Chad
                              DSS3: Just curious why you're already wanting to unload/trade the Recto? Didn't you just get that thing?

Well, I got it at the very end of January... I'm just missing my old 5150 way mroe than I love the Recto. That, and I'm convinced the things wrong with my 5150 were because it was used from Guitar Center, not because it was a 5150. (Clean channel breaking up even with PAF's on low gain input, FX loop really fucking with the sound, and yes, I tried cleaning the jacks, intermittant popping, occaisional faint squealing sound like a microphonic tube, but I checked/replaced them all, front faceplate would fall off, had to re-glue it/mcgyver it back on a couple times, etc)

Plus, let's face it... I play melodeathmetal. Favorite bands of all time are Arch Enemy, Carcass, The Haunted, At The Gates, Opeth, Soilwork, Nevermore, and Meshuggah. That alone points me straight back to the 5150. The Recto's low end and mid quality just doesn't quite grind like I want for my playing stle, and the leads = total shit. I just can't find as good a lead tone as the 5150 had out of this thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X