marshall VH clip - all amp, no boosts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marshall VH clip - all amp, no boosts

This is without a boost, it's all 18 watt marshall. used the Weber Mass at 50%.

http://members.cox.net/okstrat/reallymarshall.mp3

I know the guitar is out of tune a bit on the A string towards the end. DOH! It's more for a tone critique than anything. I wasn't trying to specifically cop VH tone with an 18 watt Marshall, but it made me think of it. I didn't EQ it after the fact or any effects other than reverb - this is an SM57 on a 1x12 sealed cab into the stock sound card on my PC.

I think with a little EQ and a squish more gain (boost pedal?) this amp would do the VH thing pretty nicely.

Opinions? More interested in tone than playing, I did my typical hack job on it. I can't remember the last clip I did that was so much rhythm and so little lead. Thanks. I'm getting closer to getting this amp dialled in for Zeeg.

Pete

added one other clip - went marshall into weber mass (power soak) into Pod XT for the cabinet sim ONLY, then into my PC.

http://members.cox.net/okstrat/runnin.mp3

Comment

Soundin' good Pete!

Comment

Sounds great! I always enjoy your playing.

Comment

Sounds great Pete! I may have to hit you up for one of those amps.

Comment

...Pete, that's whoop ass!!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The first clip sounds great. Very organic and brown. The second clip sounds like canned ass.
              That Marshall sounds fantastic Pete. Nice work. Really nice. I think its pretty much there bro.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys. I thought the second one sounded ok though. It feels like a cranked tube amp, even through the headphones

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
                  Thanks for the kind words guys. I thought the second one sounded ok though. It feels like a cranked tube amp, even through the headphones

Pete
                  The second clip sounded thin, processed and weak from where I am sitting. The 1st clip sounds outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                    The second clip sounded thin, processed and weak from where I am sitting. The 1st clip sounds outstanding.
                    that's cool. I was experimenting, plus I wanted to record and playtest and it was too late to crank up the amp. Depending on the cab, if someone needed a distorted tone I think this little amp would probably work great as a club amp. For clean tones it wouldn't work so well.

Pete

Comment

First clip was definitely better. Nice tone...not exactly an Eddie tone...but very tasty.

What cab simulation did you use on the second clip? I have found that I can get the most convincing Eddie sound using a cabinet with V30s. I can get a really good Eddie tone with my ToneLab using the '68 Plexi model pushed by the treble boost model into a 4x12 with V30s.

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

+1

Comment

Quit posting and I'll answer, Mike!

(I know, the board probably went nuts or something)

Anyways, I don't know for sure - I just grabbed an empty XT slot that I was using and hit the cab emulations. It sounded ok to me for direct. I tend to not really pay attention to cab names, I just go through them until I find one that sounds good. They are just eq filters, really - and sometimes you find good tones where you wouldn't look it you paid too much attention to the names.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
                            Quit posting and I'll answer, Mike!

(I know, the board probably went nuts or something)

Anyways, I don't know for sure - I just grabbed an empty XT slot that I was using and hit the cab emulations. It sounded ok to me for direct. I tend to not really pay attention to cab names, I just go through them until I find one that sounds good. They are just eq filters, really - and sometimes you find good tones where you wouldn't look it you paid too much attention to the names.
                            Yeah, the board went nuts on me...and I can't delete the posts, like you used to be able to!!!

Well, when you get the EQ structure the way you want it, post some more clips. I am curious to see how this little amp ends up in the end.

Mike

Comment

1st clip sounded realy good,the 2nd one was digified but to be honest mp3 encoding can strangle the tone badly

Comment

Working...
                              X