X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New clip - advice appreciated

Hello all,

great clips everywhere , as usual!

here is a new clip I did over the weekend. I figure I will never be a "shredder" . I am firmly stuck in the pentatonic box, trying to push my way out of it. I'm working hard to lessen the "suck" in my lead work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can give my solos more life, or impact for lack of a better word?

http://members.cox.net/litswitz/dhsng13.mp3

any comments will be appreciated.

DRH

Re: New clip - advice appreciated

Nice tune you got their! I think you should alittle have more bends, and try different feels (16th notes, triplets, ect.) aswell, but im just "nit-picking" of course. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Nice job, though. One way to try to get yourself out of the "Pentatonic box" (which i think we all get stuck in once in awhile when improvising), would be to work your way into the other direction. Start with maybe the blues scale, and work your to the Diatonic scales, then on to harmonic and melodic minor. Just a suggestion. Good luck!

[ September 29, 2003, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: john ]

Comment

Modes. Also, you have a very common affliction that many lead guitar players are stricken with. Its called 1 handitis.What that means is that only 1 hand is actually doing something at any given time. You need to get both hands involved fully. Remember,the speed comes from your pick hand. Work on speed with simple up/down picking. The vibrato and most of the "feel" comes from your fret hand and forearm. Your playing is too precise and metered. Relax and let it go. Express yourself! You have the melody, now it is time to let it rip.

Comment

It sounds good but it sounds like you're trying too hard. Like JG said relax have fun with it. Most importantly let the music breathe. All the spaces or beats don't need to be filled.Mess with using different timing in sections and allowing pauses or musical rests. Sometimes one note sustaining gives more life than many together. Mix it all together.
        When I work on an idea and have it about where I want it I'll then take and try different modes,scales or styles like country, jazz, blues, pop, rock, classical etc and solo through it.It will surprise you what kind of ideas you'll come up with for the final result.

Comment

To be honest mate it sounded very wooden.

You lack dynamics in this

The phrases were all the same timing wise so loosen up a bit/relax and try again.
          As for your tech,that sounded fine from what i heard on this short clip..vibrato needs to be thickened in places and more focused in others

also i fn hate midi..lol..and this was a big file?i would encode this to 40kbps mono with a lil eq filtering for friendly downloads

your tone was finejust work on the dynamics and the other good advice the lads above have given you

Comment

Thank you to those who commented on my track.

This type of objective feed back is very much appreciated and is a very useful learning tool.

On repeated listenings "wooden", "trying too hard" are a good ways to describe my lead work. It doesn't really go anywhere. There are certain types of progressions I have trouble with(this is obviously one of them), I can't get a flow going.

jjw

I don't quite get what you mean by your midi statement. This aint no fn midi track! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

thanks again

DRH

Comment

well congrats on making the backing sound like a midi track [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

DRH

Comment

I liked it....good job

Comment

Working...
                  X