Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new video - smaller, better quality

http://members.cox.net/musicfiles/petesolo.rm

it's real video, but 320x240, stereo soundtrack, and nearly 2 minutes long. Only 1.44 or so MB also. This is a backing track I posted on HC for guys to goof around with - I improved a one take solo, and you can tell there were no fixes in the mix. What you hear is what you get [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Are you guys getting tired of my videos yet? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Pete

Re: new video - smaller, better quality

hell no!! Keep em coming! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

great playing, BTW
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Dude, I have enjoyed the videos and I want to give two VERY minimal critiques....
      1)Your vibrato sounds too fast. I have had a problem with that in the past as well and one thing I can recommend is to slow down a bit and really milk that note.....An old excercise Steve Vai used to teach his students was to play 1 note for like an hour. You can pick it as fast or slow as you want to and after about 15 minutes or so, you will have gotten out EVERYTHING in you. The next 45 minutes (if you can last that long)should be a new and refreshing way of playing. Steve also has a circle vibrato that he teaches so look into that too..

2) I would like to see you stretch out a bit. I think your playing is great but if you were to stretch things out a bit it will open a different set of avenues and sounds as well.

Good luck and great playing dude!!

Chris

Comment

to answer your original question....nope...d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Pete,
          where can i find those backing track you're talking about on HC?

Thanx
          Fong

Comment

Originally posted by shortz27:
            Dude, I have enjoyed the videos and I want to give two VERY minimal critiques....
            1)Your vibrato sounds too fast. I have had a problem with that in the past as well and one thing I can recommend is to slow down a bit and really milk that note.....An old excercise Steve Vai used to teach his students was to play 1 note for like an hour. You can pick it as fast or slow as you want to and after about 15 minutes or so, you will have gotten out EVERYTHING in you. The next 45 minutes (if you can last that long)should be a new and refreshing way of playing. Steve also has a circle vibrato that he teaches so look into that too..

2) I would like to see you stretch out a bit. I think your playing is great but if you were to stretch things out a bit it will open a different set of avenues and sounds as well.

Good luck and great playing dude!!

Chris
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey cool, thanks for the analysis. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] What do you mean by stretch out a bit... different styles?

hehehe, I used to play in a country band - here's a really small clip I did awhile back.

http://members.cox.net/vhpete/FenderDeluxe.mp3

Pete

Comment

No, what I meant was to stretch out your hand to some wider intervals. I have seen you play alot in one particular minor pentatonic box shape (I do it too though) and one thing that DOES make for interesting melodies is to really stretch your hand out and maybe do some string skipping. You have got great technique!! There's no question there, maybe explore some of the jazzier scales too....the modes of harmonic and melodic minor and some of the exotic scales I think would add an interesting sound to your already great technique and add some spice!!

Comment

Originally posted by shortz27:
                No, what I meant was to stretch out your hand to some wider intervals. I have seen you play alot in one particular minor pentatonic box shape (I do it too though) and one thing that DOES make for interesting melodies is to really stretch your hand out and maybe do some string skipping. You have got great technique!! There's no question there, maybe explore some of the jazzier scales too....the modes of harmonic and melodic minor and some of the exotic scales I think would add an interesting sound to your already great technique and add some spice!!
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ah, ok. I don't think I spent THAT much time in the boxes, but oh well. I used to get more into the exotic scales, but I don't really like em that much. I did mix between major and minor diatonic over the A sections, and had a few altered notes over the G section I think... would have to listen to it again. That was a one take improv/screwing around thing - not really a musical statement [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . I just never was a fan of bizzare scales, personally.

Pete

Comment

Pete, of course... I like it. Lay off the wah bro... I want to hear you play. The wah makes it just too easy to "fool" the ears. Post a video of you doing the exact same thing but without the wah. I will allow you to use reverb and delay but thats it.. Ain't I nice? Thanks for the clip as always. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                    Pete, of course... I like it. Lay off the wah bro... I want to hear you play. The wah makes it just too easy to "fool" the ears. Post a video of you doing the exact same thing but without the wah. I will allow you to use reverb and delay but thats it.. Ain't I nice? Thanks for the clip as always. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Aw heck, I'll do one dry if you want. I don't try to 'fool' the ears, I just like being able to add inflections with the wah. Plus it was a funky backing track.

Pete (defending his clips, one post at a time)
                    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

touche' Pete.. Leave the inflections to Mariah Carey!! Thats the old octave below-octave above legato triplet wah pedal trick. ???? What did I just type?? Anyway, I look forward to hearing your "dry" track. Don't forget that I permit you to use reverb and delay. Just limit the delay to around 350ms!!! lol [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

great playing Pete.

not going to be overly critical (hint, hint) at all...I accept it for what it was...nice one take improv

what at you using to encode the videos? You could also try windows media encoder 9...which is free..you can encode from .avi or encode it live on the fly...pretty good codecs.
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hey Twisteramps, how do you like my sig [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

For some reason real player just does not work on my computer... Damn

Pete, you seem fond of that VH guitar you play.. What is it?

Kev
                            It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Originally posted by 83SanDimas:
                              For some reason real player just does not work on my computer... Damn

Pete, you seem fond of that VH guitar you play.. What is it?

Kev
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's a USA Wolfgang Special. I had a standard, it was a COOL guitar, but I sold it to help pay car repairs. It's in good hands now, and I can visit it when I want. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X