Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strings

Was just wondering what strings are best for someone who doesn't play 12 hours a day. I also play tennis and the racket that I have is pretty heavy. If you don't play a lot with it, you simply don't acquire enough muscle to be able to do what you want with it. At the moment, I use 10-46 strings but I feel really sluggish using these strings. I've tried smaller gauges and they are certainly a lot nicer to play on. The downside I think is that the thicker gauges are better for when you actually can play a lot as your fingers get stronger and the fact that the strings are thicker means that they give better response whilst the smaller gauges are more bendy so at the end of the day they are easier to play on if u don't play a lot but worse to play on when you want to go fast and hard when you do play a lot. The fact that most guitar players that I've seen, all use 10-46, but as I said, they play a lot and I don't so...

That's what I think. What do you guys think?

i think i use .10's because they sound better than .9's and they aren't as stiff as .11's.

Comment

I use 11's tuned to Eb. I like them because the bottom end sounds great for rhythm and the top end is still easy enough to bend. It's mostly up to you, just use what ever feels more comfortable.

Comment

I use .009's. I don't notice any real down-side to using .009's.

Comment

I like the feel of 10's on a strat a little more than 9's. 9's feel a little bit more floppy. Don't buy into the big strings = more tone bullshit - ain't true.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

.012-.060
            |My CSG gallery|
            (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Short answer: I'd probably recommend 9-42

Long answer: totally dependent on string brand/model/construction, tuning, guitar scale length, other guitar construction features, etc. Check out this thread:

Comment

did you hear about a guy called Yngwie?
                he's one of those who play all day I guess, ad he's fast and whatnot, but anyway he prefers very light strings. 8s or 7s IIRC.

I think it all depends on what makes you feel good on guitar.
                but I don't see a reason for putting on heavy strings to built up muscle.
                as long as you don't switch back to lighter strings, you just will get the muscle you need to get the job done.

I personally use 11s for D-tuning. (which feels pretty close to standart 9s in E-tuning).

if you like lighter strings better, go and get lighter strings.
                tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                  Short answer: I'd probably recommend 9-42

Long answer: totally dependent on string brand/model/construction, tuning, guitar scale length, other guitar construction features, etc. Check out this thread:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101246
                  Wow, that is way overthinking it.

Put some strings on your guitar and play it.

Comment

I have one guitar set up with 8's, another with 9's and a third with 12's. I can't see any reason to have all of my guitars set up the same way--I actually think it's counterproductive. Blues sounds a bit better with the 12's and metal works well on the 9's and a custom set of 8's (thicker wound strings than you usually get with a set of 8's).

Comment

Originally posted by micha View Post
                      I think it all depends on what makes you feel good on guitar.
                      but I don't see a reason for putting on heavy strings to built up muscle.
                      as long as you don't switch back to lighter strings, you just will get the muscle you need to get the job done.
                      Well this is exactly what I'm talking about... you WILL get the muscle you need to get the job done but only if you play consistently and a lot. If you don't the problem is then that sometimes you have the muscle sometimes you don't, depending on how frequently you have played in a particular space of time. At the moment I'm playing quite a lot and I feel a definite change in my figure dexterity and strength so I think I'm vying for lighter gauge strings simply because I know that whenever I get back to guitar after a protracted period of absence from the instrument, I'm concentrating way too much on getting the notes to sound right rather than the music. I'm pretty sure I don't like lighter gauge strings but I'll experiment with lighter strings none the less.

LOL, yes that thread with string tension was a little more than I had bargained for. I was talking purely about building up enough muscle in your fingers to be able to play stuff if you're a casual guitarist not all this science stuff. Very interesting stuff and the worst part is, I've been annoyed at a strange sensation in my guitar strings which I have now realised the reason behind. It's another mind bending issue which I thought I had solved by simply buying a pretty looking packet of strings called Ernie Ball. Know this little bit of information I've got a feeling I'll be looking into string gauges all over again and purely for the reason described in the thread. (Only because it bugs me)

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic_Sheep View Post
                        Well this is exactly what I'm talking about... you WILL get the muscle you need to get the job done but only if you play consistently and a lot. If you don't the problem is then that sometimes you have the muscle sometimes you don't, depending on how frequently you have played in a particular space of time. At the moment I'm playing quite a lot and I feel a definite change in my figure dexterity and strength so I think I'm vying for lighter gauge strings simply because I know that whenever I get back to guitar after a protracted period of absence from the instrument, I'm concentrating way too much on getting the notes to sound right rather than the music. I'm pretty sure I don't like lighter gauge strings but I'll experiment with lighter strings none the less.
                        I think we're still talking two things here...
                        IMO playing with really heavy strings is like jogging with weights on your ankles.
                        you will get more muscle that way, but as long as you keep the weights, you won't notice it much. know what I mean?

besides I don't think much strength is needed to play guitar anyway.
                        actually I think training your fingers strength is not the right way to get fast.
                        but on the other hand, this fast meedlymee stuff is not for everyone anyway, and I have to agree a guitar simply sounds better and fatter with thicker strings.

Comment

Good call, micha...

Actually I have an LPS strung with light top/heavy bottom (ankle weights) and keep everything else strung with .009's.

When I don't really have time to play I grab the LP and play some exercises for a few minutes so my hand does not hurt and cramp when I have time to actually play.

Comment

sounds like a good idea.
                            everytime I'm stuck with the acoustic (mainly in holidays) for a couple of weeks, I mention the electrics at home play really awesome. kind of a similar effect I guess...

Comment

I put on some 9-46 on... cant remember the brand... never seen them before. I'll try to find the brand but anyway. I used Ernie ball 10-46 for years but as soon as I put in these slightly thinner bottom strings... voila... my playing just went ballistic... I haven't played like that ever. I'm sort of back to the same level of playing unfortunately... so maybe its just change that has prompted me to improve for a day but I dunno, I can't explain it really, the left hand (im right handed) doesn't seem to care which strings I use but the right hand just can't play on thicker strings. Either its the thickness that kills it or the type of strings. These new strings feel really soft in comparison to the earnie balls (even on the 6th and 5th frets) and for some reason I just feel each note with the pick a lot better than with the thicker strings. I know it sounds insane but I just started to shred pretty much for the first time ever without really thinking about it. With the Ernies I would literally battle with the guitar both for bending and for picking but with these strings something has just changed. I will say this though... I definitely prefer thicker strings feel wise for the left hand but in terms of being able to bend notes without thinking about it and feeling each pick... forget about it... different dimension. VERY interesting stuff and I'll be experimenting with it a little bit more I feel. The main issue I have is that these new strings are kinda crap IMO. The sound doesn't seem as good (not tone)... I think the strings themselves are just worse in the metals they use or whatever it might be but the sound is just not right. Anyway as I said, just gotta play around with it I think. Definitely a thought provoking experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X