Girls Girls Girls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls Girls Girls

I need to learn Girls, Girls, Girls by the Crue and wondered what tuning people use for it. I am trying to do this by ear of Mick but I have seen transcriptions in the past that had it in Drop D. Just wondering what the 'right' way is.

I started playing it in Drop-D tonight but tried it in standard tuning as well. Drop-D seems easier but wasn't sure if it was as Mick plays it. Just wondering what people play it in and if one ends up being better in the long run once you get into the fills and solos.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

I just gave GGG a listen and I think he used standard A440.
    Never tried to play that one before, so I can't say which would be better.

I just figured out Primal Scream a few weeks ago... not hard, but very fun to play.
    It's standard tuning as is just about every other Crue song I've learned.
    Mick loves open G slides and that doesn't work to well with drop D tuning.
    -Rick

Comment

Most Motley is tuned down a full step - so standard down a full step. Not aware of them ever really using drop-D.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

I believe as Granturk said; GCGFAD tuninng. (?) I think that's what I do when I plat it.
        Ratt & Roll

Comment

what the hell is GCGFAD? Drop C would be CGCFAD, but Turk said standard down a whole step, which would be DGCFAD.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks everyone. I never thought about it being a full step down. Makes perfect sense though. Many Crue songs were a full step down. I'll try that tonight and see how it goes.

Comment

I just use a drop D tuning for it. it might not be the totally accurate way, but it works. I just use a EVH D tuna. it does the job. for my ears anyway. I am not going to set up a Floyded guitar in full D tuning. too much PITA for one song.
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I think that is where I am going to end up. I really don't want to have another guitar tuned a different way. I already have a Drop-D and standard tuning.

Comment

There are a lot of bands that play in D tuning these days (Symphony X comes to mind). You might find it worth it to keep a guitar there.
                  Scott

Comment

Or look into one of those Morpheus pedals. I haven't heard one in person yet. But I will say that my AxeFx Ultra does pretty good with drop tuning simulation down a step or so. It feels a little weird, but sounds pretty good. Probably wouldn't use it for recording, but should be fine for practice and live.

Comment

That's a good point. A pitchshifter pedal would work fine for just a song or two.
                      Scott

Comment

I have a WH4--the current version of Digitech's Whammy Pedal--and there is one setting that drops the pitch of each note a whole step. It was created for shifting a standard E tuning to D and is called "Drop Tune." It works well--at least to my ears.

Comment

The way I use to do it and everybody is different.
                          If you wanna go through the whole tuner/pedal escaped and etc then have at it.
                          But when you are your own tech and don't/didn't have two different guitars (one tuned low for Motley songs) to switch on the fly, you improvise and learn the manual way.
                          Remember early Motley days, first 2-3 albums D tuners like we know them today were unheard of.
                          Motley tunes weren't a drop D tuning the whole guitar (all 6 strings) was tuned down low.

With that said...
                          My guitar was/is tuned to standard pitch, A440.
                          I took/take the open string G (3rd string) and tuned my low E (6 string) to the pitch of the G string. I/we then tuned the whole guitar from the low E. One of the best things to happen to me in those days, was when I acquired a second guitar. I was less moodier with the song/set list.

That usually done it for me meaning put me really close.
                          It never was "exact pitch" but in live settings it worked and we (the band) got pretty good at it and pulled it off nicely between songs.

Remember, the strings are a tab bit slangy tuned that low so adjust your playing accordingly. If your a heavy picker and your fret hand digs in might consider playing around with it first to cop a feel for it.

Very few give Mick the credit he's deserving of.
                          He was/is a major component of Motley Crue.
                          You get a better vibe/feel for his playing and his grooves when you tune down.
                          Last edited by Soap; 01-28-2010, 07:11 PM.
                          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post

Very few give Mick the credit he's deserving of.
                            He was/is a major component of Motley Crue.
                            I agree totally. I think Mick is just overlooked because he isnt a raving asshole exhibitionist idiot loudmouth jerk like the rest of the band. he is consistant. I think he had a unique style, and everyone looked over him because of the dumbass antics and behavior of the rest of the band. some bands like that seem all about the attitude, glitz, glamour, and fame. the music comes second.
                            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                              what the hell is GCGFAD? Drop C would be CGCFAD, but Turk said standard down a whole step, which would be DGCFAD.
                              Haha whoa I meant D, thanks man!
                              Ratt & Roll

Comment

Working...
                              X