Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power chord fingering

Hey guys

This obviously is a very basic thing, but I am curious, who out there who fingers power chords with their index and pinky?

I was always taught to use my index and ring, and it seems logical since you are in position this way. However I have noticed over the years that a lot of the players in the bands I listen to (Laiho, Hetfield, Broderick, Mustaine does both, Hammett, Latvala etc) that they use their pinky finger. At this point I can play it both ways but if I use my pinky I find it pretty cramped up past the 10th fret and it'd harder to barre the higher two strings if I want to play a three string chord, with my index that is easy.

I think maybe the pinky thing is just because it looks better live, which is definately does... Or is there something I am missing?

:think:

I dont even play the octave, doesnt seem to make a noticeable difference to me either way, so I dont play it. I just play the root and the 5th with my index and ring fingers and leave my pinky open for longer stretches. Both ways Ive heard are correct though.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I have always used 1 and 3.
      I like EL34s.

Comment

I use both, index and ring, index and pinky... it depends, my hands are small so sometimes index and pinky is more comfortable but the main reason I use it is because I like to slide the index finger between the root note and half step below it kinda like Nuno does in this tune's chorus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyH8ZBsq23E (it's best heard at 2:37-2:51).
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
          I use both, index and ring, index and pinky... it depends, my hands are small so sometimes index and pinky is more comfortable but the main reason I use it is because I like to slide the index finger between the root note and half step below it kinda like Nuno does in this tune's chorus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyH8ZBsq23E (it's best heard at 2:37-2:51).
          I get what youre saying, like how youre supposed to play the last few chords before going back into the main riff in "Enter Sandman".
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

depends on what I'm playing. Or the mood I'm in. Or how tired or sore my hands feel on a given night. Or where I am on the neck.

Playing power chords with index & ring, sometimes my 2nd finger contracts right up out of the way. Don't know why & it can often lead to cramping. I've tried to train it not to, but when I'm not looking, there it goes again. Playing index & pinky power chords, the 2nd & 3rd fingers stay much more relaxed.

As an aside, I sometimes like to fret a root-5-root shape with fingers 1-3-4, which will allow for a quick change to the IV chord just by lifting my 3rd finger (to make a 5-root-5 shape).
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
              depends on what I'm playing. Or the mood I'm in. Or how tired or sore my hands feel on a given night. Or where I am on the neck.

Playing power chords with index & ring, sometimes my 2nd finger contracts right up out of the way. Don't know why & it can often lead to cramping. I've tried to train it not to, but when I'm not looking, there it goes again. Playing index & pinky power chords, the 2nd & 3rd fingers stay much more relaxed.

As an aside, I sometimes like to fret a root-5-root shape with fingers 1-3-4, which will allow for a quick change to the IV chord just by lifting my 3rd finger (to make a 5-root-5 shape).
              If I have time, and it's down the neck like first or second position, I'll try and use all three fingers as well, but that's not very often. When I use index and ring my middle and pinky fingers also pull up away from the neck, which I know isn't a great thing, but I just can't get them to stay down. As you said if I use index and pinky, the middle two are more relaxed, but then I can't play the octave as well. As you guys say I guess it depends on the given situation at the time.

Comment

I'll use 1-4 if it's just the root and fifth, and 1-3-4 if the octave is in there too.
                Scott

Comment

When I first started playing, I was doing the Index-Pinky thing. Then I trained myself to only do it Index-Ring. For the last couple years, I've worked the Index-Pinky back in to drop the root down a half-step and do that thing, but then sometimes I find myself just using the Index-Pinky all the time.

I like to use the ring Index-Ring combo to hit the 5th-octave of the higher chord and go back and forth - like something like:

-------------------------
                  ----7---7---5------------
                  -7--7---7---5------------
                  -7-----------------------
                  -5-----------------------

That's easier for me with the Index-Ring combo - but really either way works. The only thing I can't do comfortably is slide the index down a fret to drop the root a half step - for that I must use index-pinky.
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                    I have always used 1 and 3.
                    Same here, for root and fifth. If I put the octave in there, then the 4 gets added to that.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I used to. Always. Had a teacher for my first 8 or so months of playing and he instilled in me the whole one finger per fret thing. So power chords had to use 1 and 3.

But my hands feel like they are getting increasingly messed up. Hours on a keyboard every day at work, playing guitar for enjoyment & then 4 hour sets with the band. 1 and 4 just feels more relaxed and easier to fret for longer periods. Especially since my second finger wants to hop down and go for a walk every time I play a power chord with 1 and 3. The alternative is to fret something with the second finger just to keep it occupied and give it something to do.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

i use both but it's more natural for me to use my pinky, i didn't realize it till someone pointed it out, i use it alot it's pretty strong i guess for being a toothpick, pinch harmonics bends trills ect.

Comment

I'm a 1-3-4 guy in most instances. Not sure why... I started with 1-3 but later switched.

- E.
                          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I use 1-3 the most, but it's depends on what i am playing, right?
                            buy nail art

Comment

1-3-4 here (mostly). From that position I can go minor, b5, dim, or add the 5 underneath for the THICK.
                              1-3 works great when you need to add the 7 a lot. If you alternate the two positions like Nuno you can play a shitload of chords from one basic position.
                              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Working...
                              X