Help Improving Originality for Solos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Improving Originality for Solos

Alright, Im officially over it. Ive spent the last 4 years pretending Im a lead guitarist, and Im sick of it. My solos suck and are boring. Its always the same, start with the root note of the key, usually on the A string, proceed to run through a butchered harmonic minor scale, in the box and end on the root note of the key. Furthermore, I do a lot of fast alternate picking of 3 or 4 notes and maybe the occasional bend up a whole step.

I cant stand it anymore. My solos are rudimentary, and boring. Nothing original, all stock scale runs that all sound pretty much the same. A monkey could easily learn my solos.

Is there anything you guys can do to help my think outside the box and be a little more original? Any help would be appreciated. I just spent 30 minutes beating my head against the wall trying to solo over stuff, I sounded like a 14 year old in GC, if I went outside of my "box". The notes fit, but made no sense, no emotion, no soul. HELP!!!!!
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Just add a wah pedal to your signal chain throw in some tapping runs and harmonic divebombs and you're set. That's what i do anyway and it sounds good to me. :think:
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

How much do you practice/ play?
      Sometimes playing too much can completely do your head in! That`s what sometimes happens to me anyway...

We all get in `ruts` man...
      I find when I`m in a bad rut I just put my guitars away and don`t even think about it for maybe a few weeks or a month... I seem to come back with some fresher ideas and a better overall approach/ attitude...

Of course you can`t always do this if you have band commitments...

Comment

IIRC Randy Rhoads used to listen to lite jazz and, of course, he played classical guitar. The type of music you like--heavy metal--usually has little harmonic structure to help build a solo. Learn to play along with blues, lite jazz and classical songs. Eventually you'll be able to create melodic ideas that aren't obvious or even implied by the song's structure.
        Last edited by Trussrod; 09-22-2011, 06:01 PM.

Comment

ABSOLUTELY!!! That's exactly what I told my kid. He's put it on the back burner for now and working out. He's an amazing player but he's stuck in the ruts everyone knows and loves.

I told him when he does pick it up don't start were you left off..start anew. Don't fall right back into you comfort zone. But ruts and comfort zones are two different things really.

Remember that YOUR comfort zone is another's different language...it's YOUR sig. That equals originality.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
            Just add a wah pedal to your signal chain throw in some tapping runs and harmonic divebombs and you're set. That's what i do anyway and it sounds good to me. :think:
            Kirk?
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              But ruts and comfort zones are two different things really.

Remember that YOUR comfort zone is another's different language...it's YOUR sig. That equals originality.
              I suppose it could, but I still feel my soloing is not up to par with where I want it to be. I just cant help but feel like I couldnt even hang with Tony Rombola. Whats that take, a wah pedal and alternate picking? Pff, ok yeah I can do that, so can any monkey with half a brain. Its not that I have to prove myself to anyone else by soloing in a way others cant easily mimic, I want to solo good enough to where I can listen to it and think "god damn, I played that, that rocks." Im not feeling my solos that way, they just seem like garbage, first year student noodling to me. Ive got technique, and a few nice tricks up my sleeve but havent really the foggiest fuck how to use them in a way thats not simple and redundant. Theres no phrasing, no soul, no talent really. Just a shit ton of fast scale runs in the same spots, in key. Ive tried doing something melodic, Ive tried piecing various licks together, and it just never fits.

Theres been one solo for one of our songs that Im proud of for originality and I cant seem to replicate the originality again for any other song.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                Kirk?

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                  Alright, Im officially over it. Ive spent the last 4 years pretending Im a lead guitarist, and Im sick of it. My solos suck and are boring. Its always the same, start with the root note of the key, usually on the A string, proceed to run through a butchered harmonic minor scale, in the box and end on the root note of the key. Furthermore, I do a lot of fast alternate picking of 3 or 4 notes and maybe the occasional bend up a whole step.

I cant stand it anymore. My solos are rudimentary, and boring. Nothing original, all stock scale runs that all sound pretty much the same.
                  Got any vids?

I'd like to see / hear these...you can't be worse than me, bro!
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Ill upload some stuff to my sound click in the morning.

Comment

There`s a batch of really good Marty Friedman lessons on youtube where he`s talking about how to approach stuff differently etc...

There`s some really good shit in there somewhere but they`re all good really and it would`nt hurt to just maybe put your axe down for a few hours and watch them all and listen to what he`s saying.

Comment

Vinnie Moore's video's can give some different perspective as well. + 100 to listening to other forms of music, many of today's top players do things from other 'styles' Zakk Wylde, John 5, etc... employ chicken pickin'(traditionally more of a country thing), Steve Morse is well everywhere with his playing(tastefully so). When I get into a major rut, I listen to a lot of horns(sax mostly). The phrasing is very different to me, and almost always gives me some fresh ideas.
                        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Good call on the phrasing thing, I think we generally forget about phrasing and focus on scales and modes. That being said, learning and memorizing new scales and arpeggios around the neck helps me when I need to write something new.
                          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

That Marty Friedman video suggested i think it's called Melodic Phrasing? I have it on VHS in a box somewhere, but yeah it was one of my favorite instructional videos, so check that out.
                            And as Jayster suggested, try playing to shit you normally wouldn't play to. Way back erm in the 80's i would just jam over mtv videos, whatever they were, Michael Jackson, Peter Gabriel, just whatever whatever came on. Peter Gabriels' "Big Time" was one i used to like to play over i remember that.

Comment

To me, the opposite of trying to be original is watching other guitarist instructional videos.

seriously..
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X