No announcement yet.

Playing outside in the cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go to your local sporting goods store or WalMart, etc.. go to the sports section.. for hunters and campers they have these little credit card sized handwarmers.. you crack them and hold them in your hands.. the chemicals on the inside react and give off heat.. they're fairly inexpensive and you can keep it in your pocket and in between songs ,etc.. warm your hands back rather quickly. A portable heater works wonders as well.. I have one that you can put water in and there's a steam setting.
    DiMarzio Endorsee
    www.dimarzio.com
    Morley Endorsee
    www.morley.com
    "Intelli-Shred" author
    www.myspace.com/intellishred
    NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

I can landscape at 4 F all day wearing just a T shirt. Put me on an open top mini digger or helping do fiddly external electrics at 34 F in the freezing fog and I last about 10 minutes before my hand goes permanently numb and takes three hours of painful thawing out. You got to keep moving and eat lots the night/morning before and stay dry.

Ray Mears reckons you are more likely to get hypothermia at 37-41 F as the humidity is up so the chill effect is alot more, especially of you are wet, and believe me it rains a lot here with a northerly gale up your ass.

Man there are homeless buskers around in the UK that would put you lot to shame. Unfortunately that is what air conditioning does to you. It sensitizes you to the cold and the heat. Typically its a different kind of cold in the North East USA to the UK as the humidity is always down in temperate USA in winter. Believe me it feels colder in the UK when you are soaked to the skin. If there is snow on the ground or below 30 F you are laughing, as its generally dry. Although in the UK the dewpoint is usually 1 degree C below the temperature and the humidity is always up and usually its a case of freezing fog lingering around 0 C /32F.

Honestly, I can't believe how soft you lads in the USA have become.Possibly you are a soft lad, but rationally speaking there is some logic to explain what you experience, cold in California probably does feel colder as I would imagine its more like the UK when its unseasonably cold as the humidity is way up and the dewpoint is just a degree or so below the temperature, which means in the shade the air is condensing on you and this does your body more harm than freezing weather which is completely desert dry, that is how its done....unless you happen to just be especially soft, which coming from California you probably are.

Get a space heater in front of you.

No joke though, I don't know how you people in the north east survive, what with the sort of temperatures you get, let alone play outside. Fuck that! Way too hot in the summer man!

But seriously...respect!
      Last edited by ginsambo; 02-20-2012, 02:35 PM.
      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        ^^^ this. You are still going to play like shit, but you'll think you are kicking ass!
        Like Peter & Lois Griffin at that one gig they played baked!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
        X