Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practicing with an injury

So...

Last Friday I suffered a catastrophic fracture in my right leg. I was rushed into surgery and discharged after a few days, and am now home recovering. The surgeons said that I can put absolutely no weight on the leg for at least six weeks. So my question is: has anyone been in a similar situation, and did you find any ways to continue practicing any elements of your playing? I can sit up, but obviously cannot support the guitar in the classical position (as my leg has to be extended and supported). I'm sure any practice won't be perfect, but I think it is better to at least attempt to keep practicing in some manner. Six weeks is a long time to go without playing. Any ideas or advice will be appreciated.

Hang in there bro..you'll find a way, and you'll get better!! Because you want to, and you will heal.

...but I won't. I accept this.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Sup?

Damn man,, a speedy recovery to you brother.

If you can sit up Why not just put a strap on it and wear it high,, then you'll have no downtime

MOSHON
      DAVE
      "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

This can also be a positive.... Spend the time 'really' listening to music. I know many of us tend to hear certain nuances differently(my guess is it's according to our own playing style). Broaden your horizons with stuff outside of your main genre!

If you have access to a piano or keys, try to apply what you know in a different format. Best wishes on a speedy recovery
        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

use a strap.....up high.....it worked for me anyways.....no preasure on the leg
          -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes...

I tried using a strap and keeping it high, but I guess I never realized how much support our legs actually give. It's brutal on the lower back trying to hold yourself up straight while keeping a leg out. I've been trying to think of ways I could sit on the floor and just sort of rest the guitar on my right leg, but damn does it require a huge amount of strength in the back and ass muscles!

The piano idea is a good one, but I don't have any keys. I've been thinking of trying to find one of those guitar stands (like Yngwie uses when he plays acoustic live), thinking that might be an option. Six weeks was conservative, I might be able to put some weight on it but I probably won't be able to hold a guitar in the classical position for like 3-6 months

I'm thinking of it as an opportunity rather than a negative thing; I mean, I've basically got three months to do whatever I want! I just have to figure out what that is

Comment

My advice would be to try playing laying on your back. Not only will it put no pressure on the leg but it will make you play the fretboard without looking so maybe you'll learn the board even better than before the break. Good Luck and get well soon.
              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

3 tonne engine hoist. Job done! Fit a cable linked remote control drive mechanism and you'll be like the dude in Mad Max 2.

Must be seriously frustrating if you are one of those people, like me, that find it hard to play the guitar sitting down though. Depends on the break, but I wouldn't try and complicate it. I had a mate whose tibia/fibula was sitting out of his shins on the rugby field, clean break but needed pins to align, looked like something out of the Deer Hunter. He was itching to start playing again on it after six or eight weeks. It takes a wee bit longer than that to heel though, plus you run the risk of repeated fractures and septicemia which will kill you.

The only way is to use an engine hoist if you must stand up, or a sturdy wall guitar stand and some tree climbing gear, as long as someone is around to take you down again once you've finished. The advantage of an engine hoist is that you can release the pneumatic mechanism once you are done though and it lowers itself slowly. You can pick up a 3 tonne rated Chinese one that flat packs for around $200. 3 tonne should be alright? stick draft insulator or rubberized tape on the wheels if you have nice laminate flooring. It sounds like a joke, but seriously if you are a buzzed up, standing up, active kind of person, sitting down for 6 weeks can feel like a prison sentence.

Seriously don't take the doc advice lightly, in the middle ages you'd be sitting aorund now in agony and in four to five weeks you will have died of septicemia, we take modern medicine for granted like that. So what did you do? Was it hardcore, or did you just do one of those embarrassing fails like tripping on a kerb or something? Best of luck with your cashflow in the next few months.
                Last edited by ginsambo; 03-16-2013, 08:23 AM.
                You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

I feel your pain bro. A few weeks ago I broke my left index finger on thr way to the airport for a business trip. Which happened to be Vegas by the way! Sucked really bad. I just taped my index/ middle finger togther and dealt with it. Stupid stripper chicks kept bumping it too. Hurt like hell! Anyways, when I got back into town I had x-rays done at the ER & was informed I had a tumor in my finger. The break was pretty bad & I found out this tumor had deteriorated my bone in the finger really bad. I've already had one surgery to remove the tumor & have another surgery set for Monday. They'll be doing a bone graph ( taking bone from my wrist & putting it in my finger). This is on my left hand ( fretting hand). I haven't been able to play for a month now & probably won't be able to play again for another month. It's been killing me!! I just bought a brand new KV2T & got to play it once with my band. It's sooo frustrating!! I hope you can figure out a way to practice & have a speedy recovery man. Good luck with that. People keep telling me to be patient & that your health is more important than guitar blah blah blah. I'm sure you guys can feel me pain however. LOL, It sucks!! Hope you get better. Take care!

Comment

Originally posted by jeff b View Post
                    I feel your pain bro. A few weeks ago I broke my left index finger on thr way to the airport for a business trip. Which happened to be Vegas by the way! Sucked really bad. I just taped my index/ middle finger togther and dealt with it. Stupid stripper chicks kept bumping it too. Hurt like hell! Anyways, when I got back into town I had x-rays done at the ER & was informed I had a tumor in my finger. The break was pretty bad & I found out this tumor had deteriorated my bone in the finger really bad. I've already had one surgery to remove the tumor & have another surgery set for Monday. They'll be doing a bone graph ( taking bone from my wrist & putting it in my finger). This is on my left hand ( fretting hand). I haven't been able to play for a month now & probably won't be able to play again for another month. It's been killing me!! I just bought a brand new KV2T & got to play it once with my band. It's sooo frustrating!! I hope you can figure out a way to practice & have a speedy recovery man. Good luck with that. People keep telling me to be patient & that your health is more important than guitar blah blah blah. I'm sure you guys can feel me pain however. LOL, It sucks!! Hope you get better. Take care!
                    Damn man I hope you get better! There is nothing worse than hand/finger injuries to a guy who loves to play.
                    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

A few years back I had an injury to my shoulder that kept me out for a while. Recovery won't be easy but it seems like you're determined and that's half the battle. Mine was a partially detached deltoid and let me tell you, that's one injury I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I was surprised to find out how much a person does requires the use of that particular muscle. Practically everything you do. Sorry if the pic "bothers" anyone. It's the aftermath that will give you a pretty good idea of the permanent reminder I now have of this.
                      In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

is Argos still injured, a year later?
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

lean against a wall and watch the headstock. Support your back with some pillows and you can even rest the guitar on a pillow. Whatever you decide, good luck and here is to a speedy recovery.

Comment

How bout an update on your situation bro? Did you heal up okay and are you still able to play?

Comment

Keep a positive mental attitude and have some intestinal fortitude. You can keep doing it if you try, bro. I hope your recovery went well. I was almost medically discharged back in 2010, but here I am still jumping out of planes and running around the mountains in Afghanistan.

i hope your recovery went well and I wish you well in your future endeavors.

Comment

Working...
                              X