Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long did it take you to learn a DeMartini solo

The solo for wanted man is wracking my brains lol

I spent decades trying to learn my own solos .Then maybe one day some tool will learn it too.

Warren is ONE of the greats man!
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Put the guitar down and just listen to his records over and over again, everyday for a week, especially when you are knackered and unwinding after work or at 5:30am in the morning after getting up. Your brain will be like a sponge, it will work out itself, trust me, its the no effort way! If you still can't play them, then you are not digging it enough, listen for another week.

That's what I do, the ONLY thing I'II listen to for a month is Out of the Cellar, next month it might be something else. Sometimes I might listen to the same single album everyday and find a year has passed...although sometimes I put on 5150 when the sun has come out but then its straight back to out of the Cellar or Invasion.

Anyway the point IMO is not being able to play them, but rather digging his vibe, stretches, riffs and patterns and sounding like him to learn something new. Those two albums are basically generic stuff with his trademarks put on top, nothing too incomprehensible about them and they get more generic towards the end of the albums. Still fucking ace though.
      Last edited by ginsambo; 06-03-2012, 04:18 PM.
      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

27 years and counting.....
        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
          Put the guitar down and just listen to his records over and over again, everyday for a week, especially when you are knackered and unwinding after work or at 5:30am in the morning after getting up. Your brain will be like a sponge, it will work out itself, trust me, its the no effort way! If you still can't play them, then you are not digging it enough, listen for another week.

That's what I do, the ONLY thing I'II listen to for a month is Out of the Cellar, next month it might be something else. Sometimes I might listen to the same single album everyday and find a year has passed...although sometimes I put on 5150 when the sun has come out but then its straight back to out of the Cellar or Invasion.

Anyway the point IMO is not being able to play them, but rather digging his vibe, stretches, riffs and patterns and sounding like him to learn something new. Those two albums are basically generic stuff with his trademarks put on top, nothing too incomprehensible about them and they get more generic towards the end of the albums. Still fucking ace though.

Exactly! Ya'know it's more important to cop a certain players "vibe" , feel ,sound than playing note for note. How many times have we heard guitarist cover stuff note perfect, but sound nothing like them. Sure, you could tab a player like Page IE, but playing like him is an art in itself. Isn't this true..??

Now if you can do both..that's great. But in my years. It's usually one or the other.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well that's it, you learn more by listening and listening and then playing along, then the riffs and spills and ascending/descending parts come naturally don't they after a while and most importantly of all your phrasing and sound is spot on, you'l sound like De Martini even if there are a few bum notes in there. I've found this with a lot of stuff. Definitely the way to go rather than pausing the CD player or worse still....TAB. You get more of an understanding for the music too. You'll never make musical sense of it by stop/starting a CD player or by TAB.

This way if you hear and feel it round and round your head when the music is off or while its on you can nail it on the guitar. The most important part also is when you go to playing it, if what you play is completely wrong to how you imagined it was played, you correct it and have learnt some basic foundations to build on right there and then. Next time when its something else you know where to start, you are training your ear and your brain. I think a combination of improvising whilst playing along and just listening to it all the way through again and again is definitely the way to go to learn stuff. You really learn what notes they like to use and how they phrase stuff, by stop starting the CD player or by Tab that is really difficult and mostly overlooked and even if you play it spot on, it never sounds rights as you haven't developed the worldlyness by listening.

Yeah for me its about feeling it inside. You listen to something and think great sound and tone...and you spend a couple of hours just sounding like that guitar player. It seems to come from nowhere out of my fingers. Its about being stoked I guess, getting the vibe and rolling with it and not being anal about it. Maybe I'm being a bit naive, as I guess you do have to have a certain level of competancy and experience on the guitar to be like this and play whatever you feel to a degree, but all the same, whatever your level its definiately the best way to go to learn. Guess I'm lucky as I can remember the notes, melodies, rhythms and timings, well after the CD is off, to emulate his feel over them for the next few hours on my own and that only comes from experience, but its definitely from your heart and from your head, their should be no formal 'Study' about it IMO that is a bad way for getting someones vibe. If you can't remember how the song goes when the CD is off...well what hope have you got with TAB or CD stop/starting? When the music stops, it should be singing through every part of your body all day, like blood poisoning and impossible to get rid of. If its not, you are either not digging it or listening to it enough! That is the key to learning the part!

Personally I think its like a virus or a curse, like I said, blood poisoning, once you get it, its a great feeling being stoked on someones vibe, but the reality is that you can't listen to a track all the way through or a gig without wanting to grab for your guitar...it becomes a frustration if you are out and about. Unless you hear something so mind blowingly amazing you can't make sense of it. And its so hard to explain to the girlfriend who will just sit or stand there throughout an entire gig whilst you are burning up and itching from the inside out. Doesn't matter how good you are IMO, if you have the curse, you've got it forever. And its a feeling that even cold valves, low volumes and bad tones can't even put a cap on.

I will never forgive the late Robbin Crosby and De Martini for the Spinal Tap-esque Verse rhythm in Back for More though. Its a brilliant song, one of my favs and love the extended soloing....but why did they write in the Spinal Tap esque verse sections, it really lets down the song, in fact its the only bad bit on the entire album IMO and its only a few bars long. I wonder who wrote that part?....And why? Was it a rush job or were they wracking their brains and just gave up and settled on it?

If I ever met De Martini and had one question for De Martini, that would be it! What's with the verse rhythm in 'Back for more' mate?
            Last edited by ginsambo; 06-04-2012, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
              27 years and counting.....

Its what lifes about. What else is there?

Comment

I will never forgive the late Robbin Crosby and De Martini for the Spinal Tap-esque Verse rhythm in Back for More though. Its a brilliant song, one of my favs and love the extended soloing....but why did they write in the Spinal Tap esque verse sections, it really lets down the song, in fact its the only bad bit on the entire album IMO and its only a few bars long. I wonder who wrote that part?....And why? Was it a rush job or were they wracking their brains and just gave up and settled on it?
                Had to check out the song and you're right, it sounds like something Spinal Tap would play! Ratt never made it to the corner of Denmark where I grew up, so I actually never heard of them until joining this forum :think:

Comment

Yeah I know wht they were trying to acheive, a kind of walking verse rhythm before kicking it up again for the chorus/solos, just the way it turned out it sounds like 'Big Bottom'....'The bigger the cushion, the deeper the pushin' that's what I say!' Kind of takes the edge off the rest of the brilliance

Comment

Hehe, yeah, it reminded me exactly of Big Bottom. Awesome song, though.... Big Bottom, that is

Comment

ginsambo your right i spent a few days getting intimate with his legato parts and i can kind of sound like him in my phrasing <3

i like studying the nuances in peoples playing like how lynch fans out his picking hand or like how frigo holds the wang bar the whole time during his solos it kind of makes playing the guitar sort of a religious experience when you are able to play a song the same way it was performed in front of thousands of people at one moment in time so i would really like to play it like how he would have live and i find it takes more than just the notes to accomplish that

edit: thanks for so many replies and help i often read the forums and appreciate how much of a family this forum is
                      Last edited by kingmzz; 06-06-2012, 10:44 AM.

Comment

If I ever met De Martini and had one question for De Martini, that would be it! What's with the verse rhythm in 'Back for more' mate?
                        Funny that you don't like that part...

I don't play covers much anymore, but I still jam on that riff to this day. I always thought that part had a great groove. IMO, without that riff, that song is just another boring pedal toned lumbering song. And seeing as the riff was on the original version of Back For More on their EP which predated Spinal Tap, I doubt either had anything to do with the other.
                        My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

If I'd never heard of Spinal Tap, I'd love it. Just it reminds me and I'm imagining the bassist getting stuck in the pod on stage. Not Ratt's fault. One of my fav outro solos, he really gets into it. Always inspires me. Always.
                          Last edited by ginsambo; 06-12-2012, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I hear you buddy. And know what? I can bet my ass it was Juan. It's a riff that would a bass player write (please don't ask me to elaborate this, I've been playing for about 12 years, I believe a lot of you guys are playing even longer, and I've been in a lot of bands during that time, and that's just how bass players think) and it's the exact same line bass plays. Such things occur when you have almost the whole song and as a guitarist you've written up to that point let's say a half dozen of different verse riffs which neither you or your band mates really like. So you either turn to your bass player or he steps up and says "how about this?" and at that moment you don't care anymore, just want to finish the damn song I don't know why I told you this, but it couldn't hurt.
                            Two guitars are better than one.

Comment

...why would I?
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X