Playing related aches and pains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing related aches and pains

For the last 6 months to a year I've been having this chronic ache in the lower and middle joints of the little finger on my fretting hand. Feels like a sprain. I believe its the result of my bad habit of keeping that finger tucked down against my palm unless I'm actually using it on the fretboard. I know I'm supposed to keep all four fingers floating above their frets but, well I never really took that tip as seriously as I ought to have. Now I'm making myself paranoid that I've given myself some kind of rheumatoid arthritis, since RA, from what I've read is often triggered by injury or strain and is often symetrical across the body and I've now got the same ache, a little bit less, in the same finger of my picking hand. Anyone else had these same symptoms or other playing related aches or pains that in hindsight they wish they'd known enough to avoid. Honestly, I'd love for someone to tell me "Yeah, been there, we all have. Stop being a wus. That's the feeling of your finger muscles getting stronger. Keep hammering and it'll get better as will your technique". Appreciate any thoughts or tales of your own that you guys want to share.

Originally posted by MIB View Post
    I know I'm supposed to keep all four fingers floating above their frets but, well I never really took that tip as seriously as I ought to have....Honestly, I'd love for someone to tell me "Yeah, been there, we all have. Stop being a wus. That's the feeling of your finger muscles getting stronger. Keep hammering and it'll get better as will your technique". Appreciate any thoughts or tales of your own that you guys want to share.
    I would not tell you to stop being a wuss, as much as I'd tell you to fix your technique if you know it's bad and it's hurting you...
    My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Yeah, true. Gotta fix it it. Didn't figure that efficient technique is also healthy. Will definitely need to re-train which sucks but the alternative is to just hang it up and quit and thats not gonna happen. Thanks for the honest reply.
      -Mike

Comment

Working...
      X