Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it weird that I have more trouble going from 6 to 7, than 6 to 8 string?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it weird that I have more trouble going from 6 to 7, than 6 to 8 string?

I dunno why, I just have more difficulty going from 6 string to 7 string than I do to 8 string...

I'm not theory-trained, I'm a positional player... so maybe that's the reason. I dunno.

I just think it's kinda weird...
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

I dunno but I sorta think if the likes of Vai, Satch and many others only need six strings then that`s prolly all you need...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Sandman View Post
      I dunno but I sorta think if the likes of Vai, Satch and many others only need six strings then that`s prolly all you need...
      +1

Comment

Uh... The reason 7-string guitars exist in the first place is because of Vai...

Anyway, i can understand why going from 6 to 8 would be easier than 6 to 7; it's probably because your brain is forced to approach the guitar differently. You're just making me GAS even more for an 8-string now...
        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Hendrix was happy with 21 frets, so why would you want more?
          A Bigsby trem was good enough for generations, Django Reinhardt came along very well with two fingers... :think:

There's always people who achieve more with less. If one likes some lower notes once in a while I don't see anything wrong with that.
          On the other hand a million Vais wouldn't convince me of this stupid monkey grip beeing a good idea.
          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Nah...I can get along with ANY of that..if fact make it a 9 string guitar. I'll get cozy with that.

I refuse to play 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. 10 string bass. What I do with 4 is more than enough for this world or any other !!!

Glen Drover had to mute the 5th, 6th string of his Adrian's bass, so I can show them my magic..they loved it. I kept tellin' him.. "You're bass is too big"..the entire day.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
              Anyway, i can understand why going from 6 to 8 would be easier than 6 to 7; it's probably because your brain is forced to approach the guitar differently. You're just making me GAS even more for an 8-string now...
              Yeah, I think there's a lot of truth to that.

Originally posted by micha View Post
              Hendrix was happy with 21 frets, so why would you want more?
              A Bigsby trem was good enough for generations, Django Reinhardt came along very well with two fingers... :think:

There's always people who achieve more with less. If one likes some lower notes once in a while I don't see anything wrong with that.
              On the other hand a million Vais wouldn't convince me of this stupid monkey grip beeing a good idea.
              I've been a bassist for almost as long as I have been a guitarist. I ripped scales on my bass and played many fast finger style music on a 4 string 34" scale bass guitar. I've played 6-string 25.5" scale guitar since I was a child.

My 8 string has a 29.4" scale neck. It's more like a perfect hybrid of both than either. I can play it like a bass, even slap technique if I were into that. I can play all the strings like a guitar as well. It took all of 15 minutes to be accustomed to it. I can't really call it either. It can replace a guitar, but I don't think it replaces a real bass.

I guess some people will never get that. That's ok. If you get it, it's pretty fucking cool.

Comment

Bass and guitar are two completely different intruments. There is a major divide how I approach them. Just like a Violin, Acoustic guitar and a Kazoo.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  Bass and guitar are two completely different intruments. There is a major divide how I approach them. Just like a Violin, Acoustic guitar and a Kazoo.
                  Yeah, same here... until I got my M8M. I thought it was a gimmick guitar. Maybe it is. It's kinda best of both worlds. It's not just the 8 strings though, it's the 29.4" scale length. It's pretty amazing...

Comment

I was interested in a M8M until I saw the bridge pickup position, scale length, and the price

Still jonesing for an 8 though. Saw an Agile 830 on the bay for $800 with BKP Cold Sweats, should've snapped that up
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
                      Uh... The reason 7-string guitars exist in the first place is because of Vai...
                      No, 7s were around long before Steve. Old jazz players used to use them, just mostly with a high A string instead of a low B. Solidbody 7s became more popular after Steve was using them... most notably when Korn started using them.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                        I was interested in a M8M until I saw the bridge pickup position, scale length, and the price
                        The M8M bridge pickup is closer to the saddle than a Jackson with a Floyd Rose, by at least 2-3mm. It's even closer if you figure the scale length and ratio. The price is pretty fucked up though, but I got mine for $3800. It's the most well thought out instrument I've ever played. Everything just doesn't feel right, it feels perfect. Acoustic volume anywhere on the neck is surprisingly balanced. Tone is amazing. If the London Symphony Orchestra or Berlin Philharmonic would ever want an electric stringed instrument, this would be the one...

Comment

Xeno just buy a fuggin Harp already..put a Floyd on it.

I just bought a Jew's Harp..it goes boing boing boing..like my dick!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                            Xeno just buy a fuggin Harp already..put a Floyd on it.

I just bought a Jew's Harp..it goes boing boing boing..like my dick!

I tried image searching for both but found nada....

Comment

AKA : Mouth Harp

(Not to be confused with a harmonica)
                              Last edited by Hellbat; 10-24-2012, 05:14 PM.
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X