Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tremolo Bridge technique, or whatever it is....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good advice! You should teach!
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks for your awesome answer Kevin, i am going to practice that right now, i also noticed that i need to do some push ups too , my arms look like a 6 year old ones , trying to hold the floyd gets me tired too easy, damn summer...

Comment

WATCH VAI ON YOUTUBE!!

thats all.
        -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

@ HellBat.. hmmmm... you might be on to something there! lol!..
          @ anarkhos.. YOU are SO very welcome... I've had several request for little technique oriented things as far as doing some more video mini-clinics.. while I'm getting those out of the way.. (got one on economy picking I NEED to finish and one of tapping that was requested.. I guess I could do a little whammy bar thing too?
          DiMarzio Endorsee
          www.dimarzio.com
          Morley Endorsee
          www.morley.com
          "Intelli-Shred" author
          www.myspace.com/intellishred
          NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

That would be usefull, i practiced what you sugested and mannaged to hit the correct note with the bar at the first attempt several times, after a while, and made a lot of whale sounds too, accidentally . The tapping video would be cool aswell, i have been practicing it too.

Comment

I'll actually be posting a few vids by the weekend.. also doing a vid commercial for my Skype lesson service too..

I like taking a single note say and "A" on the 10th fret of the B/2nd string.. with my hand in the traditional manner play a melody using mostly bends.. say play A.. then bend up a step to B .. hold that and without releasing, taking it up another 1/2 step to the C.. releasing slightly back the the B (this really works on your control of the string under tension) and then release back down to the A and then maybe pull off the the G and bend that back up to the A..
              once you have THAT melody in you head.. then try and replicate the same results using only the bar and only ever fretting the original A.. this will REALLY work on not only your feel for the bar but connecting those muscles to your ear.. you'll have to play the A.. pull up a whole step to B then another 1/2 step without releasing to the C.. back down but only to the B.. then full release back to the A and then you'll have to dive down only a whole step to the G and then back to the A..
              it is a pain.. but the payoff in control.. which adds to your confidence.. the juice is worth the squeeze, I promise.
              DiMarzio Endorsee
              www.dimarzio.com
              Morley Endorsee
              www.morley.com
              "Intelli-Shred" author

Comment

There's also a music video with Adrian Belew where he uses the bar when moving up and down the board. I can't remember if it was a band he was in or solo act.

Comment

another good one to look for videos on youtube is jeff beck...he's a master of using the trem...

i came up as a player before the days of youtube so my technique came from doing things very similar to what kevin mentioned to you...i just wasn't as disciplined and basically screwed around with the bar until i got the results i wanted...

remember one thing though...as cool as vibrato sounds with a trem never forget to continue working on your normal vibrato as well as both are equally important...d.m.
                  http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Well said D.M..
                    DiMarzio Endorsee
                    www.dimarzio.com
                    Morley Endorsee
                    www.morley.com
                    "Intelli-Shred" author

Comment

I had to post this guy because I like his guitar! LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZjcPEX4PbU
                      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I dunno if i like the guitar most, or the stuff he is playin'... . I can say i somehow improved but it is all very intuitive.

Comment

Originally posted by anarkhos View Post
                          I dunno if i like the guitar most, or the stuff he is playin'... . I can say i somehow improved but it is all very intuitive.
                          I use that video when teaching students a lot so I figured it might help you.
                          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
                          X