Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes great players? How does it happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good post jgcable! I'm not your age but following you not too far. I remember my starting days with the cheap guitar with a super high action and the worn out tapes and records. I also keep trying at it and keep trying to improve, even if I don't have the dedication or focus of others, I'm still having fun and still want to rock.

I had a milestone when I got back into the band thing in 2001. I saw Iron Maiden. It had been a damn while since I had seen a live show. And seeing those guys in their 40s back then and still rocking hard kicked me in the butt and poured some fuel on the flame. I saw them again in 2012 and now, they are in their 50s and they still rock hard and do what they like the best!

Rock'n Roll!!!
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
      Good post jgcable! I'm not your age but following you not too far. I remember my starting days with the cheap guitar with a super high action and the worn out tapes and records. I also keep trying at it and keep trying to improve, even if I don't have the dedication or focus of others, I'm still having fun and still want to rock.

I had a milestone when I got back into the band thing in 2001. I saw Iron Maiden. It had been a damn while since I had seen a live show. And seeing those guys in their 40s back then and still rocking hard kicked me in the butt and poured some fuel on the flame. I saw them again in 2012 and now, they are in their 50s and they still rock hard and do what they like the best!

Rock'n Roll!!!
      Thanks bro. I get my inspiration from those sources too. Watching Yngwie play. Watching Maiden or Priest or Van Halen. Seeing how incredible Les Paul was in his 90's. Seeing Eric Clapton's never ending passion for the guitar. I also aspire one day to be as good as Guthrie Govan or Paul Gilbert. I need another 25 years of intense studies I think!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        Thanks bro. I get my inspiration from those sources too. Watching Yngwie play. Watching Maiden or Priest or Van Halen. Seeing how incredible Les Paul was in his 90's. Seeing Eric Clapton's never ending passion for the guitar. I also aspire one day to be as good as Guthrie Govan or Paul Gilbert. I need another 25 years of intense studies I think!
        +1 I can't learn enough, practice enough. I love to play, love to learn. It's constant. I play for about an hour in the morning unplugged. I pick it up and play it whenever I can throughout the day. Band rehearsal is twice a week, and usually last about 4 hours. It's almost like a drug, still to this day.
        "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter View Post
          +1 I can't learn enough, practice enough. I love to play, love to learn. It's constant. I play for about an hour in the morning unplugged. I pick it up and play it whenever I can throughout the day. Band rehearsal is twice a week, and usually last about 4 hours. It's almost like a drug, still to this day.
          That's what it takes. To me practice has never been work and gigs are the big payoff. I just wish they paid more!

Comment

I think that 'Musical Ability' is basically just an inherent interest and obsession in all things musical and tone. Guys and girls that think they want to play guitar but don't progress probably are not being honest with themselves that they do not practice enough because genuinely they aren't that interested in music or tonality. Maybe they like the idea of what it represents, but aren't putting in the hours because they haven't got the imagination for it, because they haven't got the genuine interest in it. But I am an idealist and believe that anyone can do anything if they put their mind to it. Of course there are geniuses about that rewrite the rules, mostly very well practiced as Cable says, but folks should be able to get to a certain standard if they dig it enough have have enough self discipline and interest in the subject. Every player has an achilles heel, despite their ability and everyone has something to bring to the table if they are interested in it enough. It's really all about the tone and ambience to me.
            You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

to me practice has never been work and gigs are the big payoff. I just wish they paid more!
              this!
              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Funny... and true.
                Here's how...

You have to be born with a natural musical ability and then you have to practice your ass off and dedicate almost your entire existence to your instrument. Some people would call that obsessive compulsive behavior. Thats exactly what it is. All the great players have it.

Ask yourself... do you think that Hendrix didn't play every waking moment? Some people think that he sat around and got wasted and jammed out once in a while. Some people think that Eddy Van Halen was born with a guitar in his hand and already knew how to play it. Some people think that Malmsteen just sits around and eats donuts and drives Ferrari's or that Keith Richards is too stoned to know what he is doing or that Eric Clapton was beamed down from heaven and doesn't really need to practice that much.

Thats it.

If you aren't a great player you don't possess any natural ability or didn't do one of the 2 things above.

I am happy I was able to clear that up for all my JCF bro's.
                Facebook - Youtube

Comment

jgcable, you are seriously full of shit!

Comment

I didn't realize Connecticut had a solid scene. I'll try and remember that when I book my next tour, and scope out some heavy hitting locals.
                    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                      I didn't realize Connecticut had a solid scene. I'll try and remember that when I book my next tour, and scope out some heavy hitting locals.
                      Just look me up when you are in Connecticut. I live in Milford. I am the heaviest hitting local guitar player around these parts. I almost feel bad for other guitar players but I feel its my duty to spread the gospel of lead guitar playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Rock View Post
                        jgcable, you are seriously full of shit!

Absolutely.

Comment

Maybe he's saying I I I I I me me me because he can only speak from his own experiences or opinions. I have a ton of friends whom I am technically better than but, it doesn't mean I am a better player than them. I would never say I can play better than anyone even if I can. I have a Masters Degree in Jazz and I teach 57 people a week at this point but it doesn't mean I am better. Van Halen doesn't know as much about Music theory as I do but I am sure he can out play me. In the end there are five things that will make you great as a player and I learned this from my professor in college who has played with some of the worlds best orchestra's ; Dedication......Repetition......Practice.....Study ......Passion.
                          Last edited by leftykingv2; 08-29-2013, 01:50 AM.
                          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I think he's entitled to his own opinion guys. Even if he's wrong!
                            Last edited by leftykingv2; 08-28-2013, 08:20 PM.
                            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
                            X