Worried about tendonitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about tendonitis

I have heard a couple of members on the board talking about this and I am worried about getting it. How do I avoid getting it??

Re: Worried about tendonitis

Vary your playing style. Twiddle your fingers. And don't play for hours on end. And, for God's sake, don't get older. If that doesn't work, take up soccer.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I only ever got tendonitis once in my life. At the time, I had a Harley and was stuck in traffic for about an hour I guess. After all that clutch pulling, out in the hot sun, I finally got home. The next day my left arm was killing me and I couldn't grip anything in my left hand. I couldn't play the guitar for about 3 weeks till it healed. There is really nothing you can do for it except take an anti-inflamatory, and let it get better.

Before the wise ass comments start, I am a righty, so the sad monkey beating did not suffer. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Also, I would have rode the shoulder, but there is none on the corkscrew to the GW Bridge. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

That will teach you not to play your guitar while you are riding your bike.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

what model harley? how hot did the motor get?

Comment

I think the only tendonitis I am getting is in my right index finger from all the mouse clicking in reading all the forums... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah I got that LoL

Comment

I work behind a computer all day, then get behind one at home all night, forum posting, recording songs, web surfing, photoshop designing, etc and I think all the damn mouse clicking is definitely giving me tendonitis. My picking hand, (guitar, not my nose) often starts hurting if I play too long without a break.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  what model harley? how hot did the motor get?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a '95 FXD Superglide. The motor got real hot, but I don't think it overheated. I had it a couple years after that and it ran fine when I sold it.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I have heard a couple of members on the board talking about this and I am worried about getting it. How do I avoid getting it??

[/ QUOTE ]

Always warm up slowly. I find I get forearm pain the next day if I don't warm up long enough. It is a common problem to cut because I don't have a lot of time to play as it is so i always cut it shorter than I should.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I always warm up slowly so I should be ok

Comment

And definitely STOP if you start to experience any pain. By the way, John Petrucci's DVD/video has some simple stretching exercises that are intended to get you hands, arms and shoulders warmed up and limber before you actually start playing. You might want to check those out.
                        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

LMAO, about 2 years ago, going on vacation/ski trip, and the day before i worked really hard. and the next day i couldn't open up a bottle cap, i couldn't figure out what was, now i know!!!! tendonitis does suck..

Comment

Michael Angelo recommends a few things.

1.Use proper fingering and try to use all four fingers.

2.Fret with the tips of your fingers and not the pad or the fingerprint. In other words keep your fingers from bending like a banana.

3. Don't curl your thumb over the top of the neck.

Those are the only three I can remember.
                            Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              LMAO, about 2 years ago, going on vacation/ski trip, and the day before i worked really hard. and the next day i couldn't open up a bottle cap, i couldn't figure out what was, now i know!!!! tendonitis does suck..

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if it lasted more than a day it might have been tendonitis, if not it was probably sore muscles. I got tendonitis in my Acheles (sp?) tendon a couple years ago and had to wear a cast on my ankle for 3 weeks. That sucked!

Comment

Working...
                              X