Troy Stetina books. Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troy Stetina books. Opinions?

Are these good? I was quickly thumbing through one at a music store and it looked helpful. Anybody have any recommendations about which to get?

Re: Troy Stetina books. Opinions?

I did a search and found lots of info.
    But please still reply if you have any advice.

Comment

Lots of people will recommend Speed Mechanics, and I will be the first I guess, the book covers everything from speed to practice to getting your own sound, +1 for SMFLG

Comment

I don't think you will find anyone here that says anything bad about Speed Mechanics. I sure won't. His other books need mentioning as well.

His Lead and Rhythm books are great for beginners as well. Depending on your experience jumping into Speed Mechanics can be tough if you haven't learned other things first.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I've been playing for years but I'm now playing a lot of
          80's metal and need to work on my technique.
          Sounds like Speed Mechanics is just what I need.

Comment

One thing SMFLG is totally lacking is a tapping section, and the sweeping section is also rather spartanic compared to the excellent alternate picking & practicing section. But it does cover a lot of ground elsewhere, definitely worth having.

Comment

Troys sweeping on the CD is very very messy, his advice for sweeping is good though [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

It sounds good and logical, but it hasn't helped me yet. I couldn't sweep well to save my life. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I have it, wont do any good unless you work hard (as with anything else).....Highly reccomended

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    It sounds good and logical, but it hasn't helped me yet. I couldn't sweep well to save my life. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing I can sweep good right now is dust off the floor!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Comment

I can't even sweep the floor all that good...
                      SMFLG is great if you have the discipline to use it on a regular basis w/a metronome, which is the way it says to use it. I tried just noodling w/the exercises some and the gains are minimal that way... I don't know if that helps or not but that's my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                      X