No announcement yet.

How to improve playing while standing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to improve playing while standing?

Is there any special techniques or practice methods you can use to become better at playing while standing? Thanks.

Re: How to improve playing while standing?

I was thinking about this very thing last night. I am a much better player sitting than standing. Honestly, I think the only way to get better at playing while standing is to stand while practicing. It will be interesting to see if there are some suggestions. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

You got that right... "stand while practicing", i don't see a better way.
      Facebook - Youtube

Comment

I started standing while practicing, and now I almost only play standing..it works for me.

Comment

Get a rhoads. Randy designed the shape so that it's always in good position to play (also being a classical guitar player) and when you get up the shape balances the instrument so that it stays in that position. Personally i'm not really at ease playing standing with basic "strat" like guitar shapes, and when i'm sitting with one i hold it on my left lap with a footstool, like a classical guitar.
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Instead of getting a Rhoads, just hold a whatever guitar you have in the "classical" playing position (versus cowboy). Also playing while standing up helps a lot. Its weird at first but you just gotta play with your strap height.

Comment

Make sure that the guitar has the same position when playing while sitting and while you are standing. That way your arms stay in the position you're used to when practicing.

Comment

I know EXACTLY what Delt is talking about. The Strat-style shapes are pissing me off when sitting down UNLESS I put the guitars on my LEFT leg, classical position, and have my left foot raised on a pedal, footstool, or guitar case. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Standing up with my Soloist or RG560 is even worse. I have this weird theory that I cannot play on the high frets if the high frets are to the RIGHT of my left shoulderline. The hand position is awkward and even uncomfortable. Standing up with the KE3 is AWESOME since the whole neck is shifted to the left, and the 24th fret is LEFT of my left shoulderline. I think it's because of where the left strapbutton is on the pointy Jackson shapes compared to Strat-styles. The strapbutton is placed further to the RIGHT, on the neckplate. On Strat-styles, the strapbutton is more to the LEFT, being placed on the upper horn.

Yes, I am weird. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Standing up with the KE3 is AWESOME since the whole neck is shifted to the left, and the 24th fret is LEFT of my left shoulderline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing on my SG - definately has to do with the way the guitar hangs on the strap.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

I once read that you are suppose to always have a strap on when you are playing.
                    It works! You can sit and practice - just make sure you have a strap on when you are sitting - and sit in a way that the strap holds most of the weight.
                    I guarantee you this will work.
                    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I think a basic point that a lot of these replies point to is that you want to have the guitar in about the same position relative to your body, whether you are sitting or standing. That way, your arms and muscles have the guitar at a certain reference point regardless of your position. Think about it this way, when you sit and play, your guitar's body is probably right around your stomach area. If you sling your guitar pretty low (ala Jimmy Page or Steve Clarke) when standing, the guitar will be quite a bit lower than when you are sitting. In that case, your arms and hands are in different positions than when you were sitting.

I think getting the guitar in a constant position (such as wearing a strap even when sitting, which is what I do) helps to make the adjustment between sitting and standing much easier.
                      Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

My guitar teacher wears the guitar strap when sitting too. He sits in the chair with legs wide open () and his guitar in between his legs. I tried this, but I'm too damn skinny and the guitar hangs WAY down, whereas he's a bit larger than I am and his belly helps to support the guitar in a good playing position. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I really appreciate all the great information given and I'm trying out the suggestions, I hope this helps other people too.

I switched to the classical style about 7 months into my playing (at 14 months now) and I find it much more comfortable as opposed to the cowboy style although some people say it looks weird [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            My guitar teacher wears the guitar strap when sitting too. He sits in the chair with legs wide open () and his guitar in between his legs. I tried this, but I'm too damn skinny and the guitar hangs WAY down, whereas he's a bit larger than I am and his belly helps to support the guitar in a good playing position. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                            That's exactly how I do it. I'm not comfy at all with the guitar sitting on my right leg, never have been. Just seems natural to me. I don't have a big belly, but I'm working on it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

A while ago i put a strap button near the neck plate on my ps-2 (strat shape) and it helped a lot - except the balance was all screwed up. i had to hold the guitar against my ribs with my right arm while playing, which kinda hampered my right hand playing.
                              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                              X