No announcement yet.

How to improve playing while standing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to improve playing while standing?

I think too many players wear the guitar slung WAY TOO low!! I have to have mine slung pretty high but I don't care what I look like as long as I can play what I want to. Look at Vernon Reid and Tom Morello............

Comment

I cannot play sitting down anymore. Years ago I realized that I had difficulty playing while standing, so I stopped sitting down period. It's helpful if you have a guitar that is balsnced well, and doesn't have a tendency to nosedive.

It's the same thing with how high you have the guitar when standing. If you are used to it high, it's very difficult to play with it low, and vice versa. I decided a long time ago that it looks ludicrous when you have your guitar tucked under your armpit, so I adjusted my strap over time so my guitar hung lower, and hence I looked MUCH cooler while playing. I don't have it down to my knees or anything silly, but definitely low enough to look way cooler than you. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

just got to practice standing i never play sitting
        when im on the electric, you will giving time get
        much better you just have to get used to playing
        standing.when i was younger i played sitting but when
        i was in a band i had to get better standing up .start
        of with the strap pretty short and make it longer till
        you find the length your happy with

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          My guitar teacher wears the guitar strap when sitting too. He sits in the chair with legs wide open () and his guitar in between his legs. I tried this, but I'm too damn skinny and the guitar hangs WAY down, whereas he's a bit larger than I am and his belly helps to support the guitar in a good playing position. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a KV or a RR and the sitting problem's solve. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Fong

Comment

Some good info here, I've recently discovered that playing standing and sitting are different and I have a Rhoads. Recently I've been sitting with the strap.

It's hard to stand and read music/tab while playing.
            Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

I raise the height on my music stand. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

First off, the correct way to hold a conventional shaped guitar when sitting down is with the inward "bump" on your LEFT leg, and a footstool under your left foot. If you play with the instrument on your right lap, you need to re-learn how to play, and properly this time, before calling yourself a guitarist.

There's no way around this - either you hold the guitar properly, or your playing technique is severely handicapped and you get nowhere. Personally i was fortunate to learn this when i was 14 years old, that's when i started making any serious progress in my playing...... and started playing anything else than metallica riffs with 2 fingers.
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

really? So if I play with the guitar on my right leg, I'm not really a guitarist?
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    If you play with the instrument on your right lap, you need to re-learn how to play, and properly this time, before calling yourself a guitarist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... I guess Yngwie, Paul Gilbert and Tony Macalpine can't calling themselves guitarists because they play the guitar on their RIGHT lap. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

So if you're a "guitarist" compared to them, why don't i recall seeing your cd in CD store? [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Fong

Comment

Take it easy, Phuong

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        First off, the correct way to hold a conventional shaped guitar when sitting down is with the inward "bump" on your LEFT leg, and a footstool under your left foot.

There's no way around this - either you hold the guitar properly, or your playing technique is severely handicapped and you get nowhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bullshit. Sorry, dude. But it is. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I play both standing and sitting and when sitting the guitar rests on my right leg. No stool! Sometimes I even cross my legs! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Sometimes my right foot rests on my left foot (how my teacher taught me, actually)! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
                        AND AND, sometimes I play laying down, or sitting right smack on the floor.
                        And I've progressed just fine, thank you very much.

With this kind of reasoning one could also say that if you're a lefty and play a "modified" guitar then you are also not a guitarist. Whatever. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

If you love the guitar, and you can play it and are comfortable with how you make your magic happen then you ARE a guitarist. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                        Just my two cents.

Em

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          First off, the correct way to hold a conventional shaped guitar when sitting down is with the inward "bump" on your LEFT leg, and a footstool under your left foot.

There's no way around this - either you hold the guitar properly, or your playing technique is severely handicapped and you get nowhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bullshit. Sorry, dude. But it is. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          I play both standing and sitting and when sitting the guitar rests on my right leg. No stool! Sometimes I even cross my legs! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Sometimes my right foot rests on my left foot (how my teacher taught me, actually)! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
                          AND AND, sometimes I play laying down, or sitting right smack on the floor.
                          And I've progressed just fine, thank you very much.

With this kind of reasoning one could also say that if you're a lefty and play a "modified" guitar then you are also not a guitarist. Whatever. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

If you love the guitar, and you can play it and are comfortable with how you make your magic happen then you ARE a guitarist. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                          Just my two cents.

Em

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] Right On!!! Everyone has their own style, and if it works for you, that's all that matters.
                          Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Think about all those guitar heros who play the guitar behind their heads. They're obviously doing it wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

> I play both standing and sitting and when sitting the guitar rests on my right leg.

That,s the most straightforward, but WRONG approach. or maybe i just spent too much time playing classical guitar..........
                              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                              X