Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• songwriting : getting stuck

Hi
    Maybe it's because of my hard times recently ( exams etc. ) but now i have a feeling that i'm totally stuck. this isn't a huge prob for my band ( i have about 6-10 tracks on my pc ) but it pisses me off. I normally just either write a next riff to a previous one or combine it with an older one ( as long as it fits of course ) but nohing now. totally. when i come up with something it's not what i'd like it to be , okay , i came up with one decent/good (depends on drums) riff and one that's also okay but pretty you know , standard sounding.

What do you guys do in such a situation ? Take a break for a couple of days ?

Re: songwriting : getting stuck

Try...
    ...inverting all the chords
    ...flipping the axe over and write lefty
    ...playing single lines where you wanna play chords

Change your perspective.
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Take a break for awhile & focus on other things,read or do something else for inspiration,hopefully writing will be fresh when you come back to it!!

Comment

listen to music of other style than you're writing, especially classical/orchestral and movie soundtracks. Excellent concepts there.
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

hmm i use to analyze all music that i hear - from early rock / through jazz sometimes / to brutal death metal , and learn certain composition tricks/concepts.

ps. Happy birthday delt [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

my 2cents: 1. try new keys. 2. use different types of chords, not just 5ths, major, minor (for example, 9th chords give you a cool dream theater/queensryche vibe). look over a music theory book and learn about re-harminazion, dominant/subdominant substitutions etc. all these things will spice up stale ideas. good luck.

Comment

These guys are all on to something. Also learn some basic theory. You can do that without too much music reading. You should learn what chords are in what keys. If you can figure out what key your idea is in, you can look at what chords are in that key. You may find the idea your seeking by trying the other chords in that key.

Comment

my .02$ :
                -try switching guitars. dont use your favourite axe all the time, one of your other guitars (if you have any) for writing. the most drastic difference is obviously between a strat and a les paul, but anything will work. ( i always find myself writing slow, grinding stuff on my 7string, while my charvel is better for fast stuff.

-drink lots of coke/coffee/tea/whatever....at least i think that it really helps with your creativity

-if you usually write while playing unplugged, go and start playing through your amp cranked while writing.....or vice versa.

greets
                fragle

Comment

I have made some killer riffs by playing my bass with overdrive... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Try your bassist's bass and toy around with it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Try your bassist's bass and toy around with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd love to, but my bassist doesn't allow me to play it......hell, he almost kills me everytime i'm about to touch it lol. yeah...excentrical bass players...playing 2000$ + custom vigier basses....through a shitty 1*15 solid state combo ^^

sorry for the OT post

Comment

I write a lot of riffs but I'm often having problems in completing the songs. Y'know - getting that bridge, interlude or whatever that will make all the other riffs come together. What usually helps me is to get away from the guitar and just listen to the riffs that I already have and imagine in my head how the song should continue. I often get inspiration by listening to my favorite artists.

It also often helps to narrow the options. I may decide that the next part is going to be an arpeggio part in A minor etc. so when I try things I have a place to start.

And when there is absolutely nothing special coming out I just give it some time and do other things... Inspiration can't be forced except with alcohol! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                      My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

crazy as it sounds, try playing while watching tv or a movie. i find the mood/texture/music of a film gets my hands moving...it takes away from the "silent room" syndrome.

Comment

Working...
                        X