Sweeping technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweeping technique

What book/video/website/whatever would you guys recommend for developing a solid sweep technique? I have the basic idea down but everything I've ever seen talking about sweeping is more about going over different arpeggio shapes and doesn't really have much if anything to say about right-hand technique. This is my problem, I have the whole left-hand roll deal down within reason, but when I'm working with the metronome I can't get anywhere as far as speed. When I go over arps at slow/mid speeds my right hand does like a paused sweep instead of just flowing all the way across, and it's keeping me from speeds where it actually sounds like sweeping technique instead of alternate picked arps. Any suggestions?

Re: Sweeping technique

I heard that the Joe Stump - ARPEGGIO LESSON VOLUME 1 DVD was pretty good. I ordered it a month ago and I still have not received it. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Anyway, here is the site if interested:

http://www.joestump.com/dvd.htm

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I ordered it a month ago and I still have not received it. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah..... Me Too...... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Anything by Frank Gambale
        www.kiddhavok.com
        www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I submitted my complaint to PayPal. Hopefully it will arrive early this week so I can cancel it. I waited until the last day before filing. It better be worth all the hassle. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm too broke to order something and not get it... Let me know how it is after you get ahold of it. Now to hunt for some Gambale stuff...

Comment

I have the Stump DVD and I think it's the best stuff I've seen on how to sweep. I'm certainly not up to Joe's level (I'm a realist about that fact [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ), but I thought he gave great instruction on how to sweep. He starts with 2-string sweeps and then moves on to 3-, 4-, and 5-string sweeps. In addition to giving basic, diatonic exercises, he also shows examples from his songs.

My wife, a non-guitarist, has watched Joe's DVD with me several times and she actually enjoys it.

I am surprised that you are having trouble getting it. When I ordered mine when it first came out, the DVD came very quickly. You might try writing the webmaster at joestump.com.
              Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I submitted my complaint to PayPal. Hopefully it will arrive early this week so I can cancel it. I waited until the last day before filing. It better be worth all the hassle. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Got it in the mail today..... You should have your, too. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Yep ... mine came in today ... will have to check it out later tonight. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

First tap out the chord in arpeggio fashion with your left hand. When you get good you should be able to tap out the arpeggio without picking and get a descent sound - especially with 3 string arpeggios. Go both directions - up and down. It is hard and you have to build your finger strength and speed so don't get discouraged. This took me a year to get good at.

Next, don't just pick straight up and down. Use circular picking (moving the pick in a circular direction on the strings). You can find articles on the net about it. This will smooth out the picking, make it easier to keep the pick speed and finger speed in sync and give you a clearer sounding arpeggio.

Once you get good at both of these about half the sound of the arpeggio will be your fingers hitting the strings against the fretboard and half the sound will be your pick sort of floating across the strings while your fingers hit their respective spots.

This is very hard **** to learn but keep at it and your arpeggios will fly. The fastest I have timed myself playing arpeggios is 255bpm so far.

Start at 3 string and go eventually to 4, 5 and 6 string ones. There are many combinations and you will figure out your favorite.
                    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      The fastest I have timed myself playing arpeggios is 255bpm so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

255bpm [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

it's 255bpm for 1, 8 or 16 notes??

Fong

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I play in groups of 5, 7, 8, 9 or 10 usually. Depends on the arpeggio and how I am playing it.

There was this organ where the metronome went up to 255bpm. I was supprised that I got passed 240 actually because I had never timed myself but I could keep up with this organ.

Speed it only one technique really. Originality and expression are really more important IMHO.
                          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I play in groups of 5, 7, 8, 9 or 10 usually. Depends on the arpeggio and how I am playing it.

There was this organ where the metronome went up to 255bpm. I was supprised that I got passed 240 actually because I had never timed myself but I could keep up with this organ.

Speed it only one technique really. Originality and expression are really more important IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're playing at 255bpm, 5,7,8,9,10 notes a beat?

I'd really like to hear some clips.

Pete

Comment

So would I!

Comment

Working...
                              X