how to do proper pick-scrapes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to do proper pick-scrapes?

how do you du proper pick-scrapes, so that they sound great?
    isnt it something with sliding your left hand down the neck while scraping with your pick hand from the bridge end of the string?
    Guitars:
    Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
    Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
    Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
    BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
    ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Re: how to do proper pick-scrapes?

It's up to you. Chances are that you will stumble upon it yourself. The biggest factors in creating the pick scrape sound are what string you scrape the pick along (wound strings have the "grooves" that the pick can grind against), the pick thickness, the pick angle, and the type of tone you have coming from your amp.

Comment

yeah, but i saw this "Van Halen Method" video some time ago and the guy says "this is the real way to do it" and uses both hands to do it... i just cant remember what he did exactly...

not that its important, i was just thinkin...
      Guitars:
      Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
      Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
      Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
      BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
      ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Comment

I just block out all strings with my left hand and scrape the pick all the down the low E. It's a feel thing. The best way is to watch other people do it. It's a tough thing to explain.

Comment

Or you can do it the DImebag Darrell way and frantically scrape it across the UNwound strings....sounds badass that way \m/

Comment

I drag my guitar around on the floor by the strap...make sure the strings are facing the ground!

Comment

Just scrape the strings along your mic stand ala Jimi Hendrix. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Then break out the Ronsonol and a book of matches and finish the job.
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I have an Ibanez R.G. that when i got the thing I couldn't get a pick slide/scrape sound out of it if my life depended on it.Even holding the pick at an angle pushing down hard it always sounded real weak.It was set up w/9's and very low action when I went to 10's and raised the action a bit it helped 100% I just don't think there was enough of tension on the strings to get a good scrape sound I've never had that problem on any other guitar no matter how light the strings were.I know youre question's more about technique I'd suggest holding the pick at more of an angle across the lower strings but if your useing really light strings going heavier might help.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I drag my guitar around on the floor by the strap...make sure the strings are facing the ground!

[/ QUOTE ]
                  (Atilla soils himself laughing)

Comment

I scrape with the side of my pick at a 45 deg. angle on the E and A strings. Like this if your looking at the pick holding the guitar <----- /. When the pick reaches about the 9th or tenth fret I follow it with a left handed middle finger slide.

You just gotta find out what works for you. Your pick, strings, and especially the speed you scrape at really make a difference in the sound. My technique is pure metal though.
                    Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a video where Kirk Hammet is doing that! It's fuckin' hilarious. Also, if you're looking around for a good trem method, he proved that swinging it around your head by the strap will give you a consistent and smooth trem sound!

Seriously now, it's all a feel thing. There is no "real" way. If you're constantly looking for the "real" way, you're robbing yourself of a lot of potential orginality. Don't get me wrong though, you'll want to hunt down the "real" way from time to time. Just don't sweat the small ****, like how to do a pick scrape.

Comment

Working...
                      X