Weight lifting and playing guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight lifting and playing guitar

I've read peoples opinions on it, but is there any concrete proof as to why weight lifting would negatively affect your guitar playing?

Re: Weight lifting and playing guitar

I honestly do not see how. I been weight lifting as long as I been playing guitar and has not affected me in any sense. Then again, I am not(nor do I ever want to be one of those hulks you see on the covers of the fitness magazines. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="yellow">You guys remember some of the pics of Zakk Wylde in the late 80's......he was a freak

He was huge.....and there are some other big guys who play also</font>

Comment

weight lifting sure didn't affect george lynch's playing!

Comment

Just don't over do it.
          www.kiddhavok.com
          www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            <font color="yellow">You guys remember some of the pics of Zakk Wylde in the late 80's......he was a freak

He was huge.....and there are some other big guys who play also</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to what he is now? Or... I mean now he's a walking tank (of beer)...

Comment

I don't see how it could possibly make my playing any worse lol

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I've read peoples opinions on it, but is there any concrete proof as to why weight lifting would negatively affect your guitar playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you spend more time in the gym and less time practicing.

Comment

Yeah. I agree. Look at how many skinny guys smoke on guitar and still get the babes!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats ridiculous. The only people who are going to tell you that are the ones envious of the guys with mucles. The only way I can see weight lifting affecting your guitar playing is if you were doing juice and snapped the neck off mid arpeggio or something [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I can unserstand if you go to the gym and do 20 sets of curls and 10 sets of wrist curls then immediately go home and try to play.
                      GOOD LUCK, but if you give yourself recovery time , no problem at all, I've been doing it for years, I just need to wait a little bit after doing arms and then it's business as usual.
                      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I used to work out with a trainer on a regular basis. If I had a gig the night of my session I would just tell him I didn't want to do any arm excersises that day. This guy used to really push me hard and my arms/wrists would be junk by the time I'd have to play.

Matt
                        Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

I'm competing in powerlifting on a national level here in Norway, it really doesn't affect my playing. BUT, I don't do a lot of arms excercises like you normally would on say, a bodybuilder's routine. Whenever I do biceps/triceps workouts, and if I do it hard, then I won't play very good the next day because of stiffness in my arms/shoulders.
                          If you preserve your strength a bit rather than do all-out 100% workouts every time, then you should have no problem combining it with playing the guitar.
                          I would even go as far as saying that my technique has improved a lot from what it used to be before I lifted any weights, due to having a lot stronger grip in my hands which is very benificial when doing hammer-ons, pull-offs, and for general guitar playing stamina. (intricate chord changes etc.)
                          Just remember to warm up properly, stretch out after you have worked out/played guitar, and remember to PRACTICE your guitar playing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

good luck,

- Rune.

Comment

I weight lift 3 days a week - pretty heavy although I am not super bulky.
                            I also do karate 6 days a week and 2 days of aerobic activity on top of that.
                            I would not worry about it. My forearms get tired sometimes but they loosen up after a good warmup.
                            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I used to bodybuild, and the only difference I noticed in my playing was in my body - I would tend to cramp up more easily in my forearms and mid back if I didn't take the extra time to stretch and warm up. Especially if it was the day after forearm/biceps, or back.
                              Did not affect my speed.
                              Just give yourself some extra time to stretch.

Comment

Working...
                              X