Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• writing question

hi

i wonder if i'm the only one that frequently runs into this problem: when i write riffs, i almost always think it's not "difficult" enough....or better said, the riff is too simple. that doesnt only apply to the writing process itself, but afterwards, too. if i go and listen to some of my older riffs, i often think "this is too easy" and change it - most of the time it will loose its melody in the process.
    i think that sucks hard...i always add a couple of notes here, another chord there, or change the rhythm, just because i think it sounds too "common"...even if that isnt the case.
    i wonder if you also run into this kind of ...trap....and what you suggest i should do. i feel this "barrier" inside me keeps me from writing good songs. i wrote some songs that consist of "simpler" riffs, so basically riffs that i didn't try to make particulary difficult to play, and even though my band likes them, i'm just not satisfied with them, because i always think the ideas are too simple, or there are not enough riffs in the particular song (although some of the best songs ever are built of very few riffs, for example old van halen stuff, black sabbath, or older ozzy in general).

so, please tell me your opinions about this topic [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

greets
    fragle

Re: writing question

I really don't care if it sounds hard to play or is... If it feels good then use it.

Comment

^^^ exactly right. Fragle, i think there are too many bands out there that try to make their riffs sound hard just for the point of sounding hard, i think as a player you evolve in a way where you can mould what you're writing now with those old riffs, and hey, it might turn out to be better than you expected. experiment with a purpose i guess is what im trying to say, no wait, im too fukkin stoned. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Comment

forget about whether its simple or not. does it sound good? a lot of the stuff that is instantly recognizable and has stood the test of time is simple. in last month's guitar world magazine, zakk wylde commented that anything he plays is "simple"...

Comment

I run into the exact same problem. If it loses it's melody, I keep trying something different. You might also try playing the riff on a totally different instrument too, this will help you think outside of the usual guitar pattern.

Comment

Working...
          X