Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion: Getting out of the usual patterns...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: Getting out of the usual patterns...

I see that this is THE most common problem among songwriters. Riffs seem to have a similair rhythm, songs stay in one key, solos start sounding like variations of eachother, blah blah blah.

Here's a solution: Try to write a song on a totally different instrument. It will remove any patterns you have with the guitar, and all you will hear are notes. You won't move your fingers the same way anymore, the whole spectrum of music will be open. When you do go back to your guitar to play the riff, you'll find that it will be a little uncomfortable, and may need some minor adjustment to make it feasable, but I've found that this technique will open up your ears.

If you don't know of a different instrument, buy a keyboard. It's got the easiest layout of notes. You'll have to apply some theory to make it work, you won't want to play everything in the key of C.

Also, another thing that I've found that's great for spicing up a song is to play the same riff again, only change the key according to the overall feel.

Hope this helps somebody.

Re: Suggestion: Getting out of the usual patterns

sounds like a good idea. When ever i right a song, it's usually in the Key of C since i play drop c tuning [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

It doesn't have to be in the key of C. You don't tune your guitar to change the key signature, you simply use a different scale.

Not making sense? Look up musical theory on a search engine. It is well worth your time.

Comment

ya i know, but i always use a open C chord to something open. i know some theory...

Comment

Working...
        X