Question about odd time playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about odd time playing

There are some things about odd time I understand and some I don't. I know what it means in that 12/16 is 12 16th notes per measure etc. etc. But do the note values change in odd times? For instance, do quarter notes not represent 2 eighth notes if it is not in a 4 count time? I used to be in a street punk band and the drummer just did bass snare really fast and didn't know anything and I didn't right any music in that band anyways. Now I am starting a band with another guitarist that is crazy and the drummer is really good so I want to right stuff that is not just in 4/4 or other 4 count meters all the time. Thanks for any help.

Re: Question about odd time playing

Well I read some theory stuff on some sites and am using powertab to try to solidify my understanding of odd time. If you have anything you want to add, feel free, because any knowledge is good knowledge I suppose.

Comment

the time signature reflects 2 quantities...the first number represents the # of beats per measure and the second number tells you the time value of each beat. ex: 5/4 time signature means 5 quarter notes per measure.

Comment

Note values are always the same. They don't change from one time signature to another.

Comment

Alright, I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything correctly. Thanks.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Note values are always the same. They don't change from one time signature to another.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not quite. Time signatures with an 8 on the bottom use different lengths. A dotted quarter (three eighth's of a beat) is marked on the staff, but only one beat is played. Anything with an 8 on the bottom is basically time and a half.

Comment

Warbird is right!!

Comment

Working...
              X