Progressive Metal Help....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressive Metal Help....

Hey guys. Here I go with another one of my stupid questions. Thank God, I have you guys [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img], who ignore the stupidity in them and help me anyway [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]!

Anyway, I was wondering if any one of you guys can shed or shred [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] some light on the theoratical aspect of Pregressive Metal. Mainly Dream Theater stuff. I know that John Petrucci has his DVD on his technique, and I have that, but I was really interested in, was to understand the theory behind it myself, and maybe coming up with my own stuff.

So, do you guys know what kind of progressions, scales, modes, and etc are involved in Progressive Metal, or will probably help me understand it better? I hope you know what I'm saying [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img], or at least what I'm trying to say [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Thanks for reading!

Re: Progressive Metal Help....

Well, personally I think progressive metal is defined by it's non-boundary form. The only preset might be that it needs to be ultracomplex, but that's not as much a preset as it is the natural desire of the musicians in the band to play music they like, which happens to be complex.

Short answer: learn all and any scales/modes you see or hear about. Study musical theory intensely, and practice practice practice on the guitar.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

There aren't any rules in prog. But thereare some commonly used things: 1. chromatic runs 2. sus4 chords 3. jazzy chord progression 4. eastern scales and something like phrygian, lydian dominant etc 5. odd time signatures etc.
      Exparament!
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Keyboards!! Keyboards!! Keyboard shredding... thats what you need!!

Comment

I never been one for keyboards in any form of metal I listen to. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Keyboards are quintessential for Progressive Metal, imnsho.

Nothing beats a 5 minute neoclassical guitar/keyboard duel @ 220 mph. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Nothing beats wanking for the sake of wanking ("bad" prog) quite like that, yes. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Alright, thanks a lot guys. What you said makes a lot of sense. Guess its too early for me to be thinking about it. Although, I really thought there were some cliches of this genre. Thanks again though!

Comment

Working...
                X