Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerTab Editor or Guitar Pro

Which do you prefer?

They each have features I like and lack features I want.

There's more GPx files available, but there's more BETTER PTB files available.

Hmmm... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

PowerTab Editor has not been updated in forever! Anybody know what's up? Why'd the guy give up on such a great program with even greater potential?

Re: PowerTab Editor or Guitar Pro

That is hard to say. I have both loaded on my system but I guess I use Guitar Pro a little more. There is no real reason why I lean toward it other that what you mentioned about there being more tab available for it. Either one would suffice for what I use them for.

Comment

I like guitar pro myself. I havent tried the newer PT but GT PRo lets you mute the other cheesy midi instruments and use the bass and drums to make some cool backing tracks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

If I am not mistaken, if you have both programs, you can change a PT file into a GP file and vice versa, thus eliminating the flaws associated with each program and covering both bases. Let's say there's a really good PT file you want as a GP file. I think you can export the PT file as a MIDI file. Then, import the MIDI file into GP and save it as a GP file. I'm not sure if you can export out of PT though because I haven't used PowerTab in a few years and I don't remember.

Comment

Ahh ... that never occured to me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks for pointing that out. You can export to a midi file from both programs.

Comment

Ahhh, sweet! Now you can interchange tabs. And anytime I need someone to convert a PT file into a GP file for me, I can think of Sukisyn... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Would be glad to help. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I use both , I like Guitar Pro better, but it seems that the powertab "tabs" are more accurate. I find a lot of the tabs on mysongbook.com are a little bit off. I didn't know you could export from one into the other Cool. I need to try that.
                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

What good is taking the rich PTB or GPx file and exporting to MIDI to reimport in the other program? [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

You lose all that is worthwhile in the file as opposed to using a basic MIDI file!

You'll lose all the tab-specific information.

Comment

To make backing tracks, possibly, as Shawn Lutz posted above. When you're playing along to a backing track, I don't really care what's going on onscreen in terms of tab-specific information, as long as the notes themselves are right and I can play along to the track without wincing at off-key mistakes. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And sometimes the notes are transcribed better on one file format compared to another. I mostly just use the proper notes but will play them in different positions to see which is more comfortable to play if I see tab-specific information lost in the MIDI conversion. It's a nice exercise, sort of. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

So all you need, Priest, is MIDI/WAV/MP3 sound files. What are ya messing with tab files for then? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Exporting to MIDI and then reimporting is gonna give you LOADS of problems as far as reading the tab is concerned....The fingerings are gonna change completely and it's gonna be a lot more awkward to play...For example, a G5 power chord is gonna be imported as 3rd fret on the E and open on your D string...Not the smartest way to play that chord if you ask me...

Comment

uhhhh, nevermind [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Guitar Pro 4.0

Comment

I have both programs but only use Guitar Pro 4.
                              In my bands everything written is tabbed out for the other bandmembers to learn.
                              I rarely learn other band's songs nowadays so I can't comment on tab accuracy or availability.
                              http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Working...
                              X