Fingering Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fingering Question

Something I've been wondering about and if anyone here can explain the logic to me I'd greatly appreciate it. Say I play frets 3, 5 and 7 on a string, I would use fingers 1 (on the 3), 3 (on the 5) and 4 (on the 7). Now, I've been practicing the speed mechanics book (love it to death) and it says to use fingers 1, 2 and 4 for playing something like frets 3, 5 and 7.

Is there a reason why they'd say to use that fingering technique? It seems simpler to me to always use the same technique of using your 3rd finger for the 3rd fret in you have to play, instead of changing it to the 2nd finger when there's a 5 fret stretch.

Love to hear the logic for this so... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Fingering Question

no logic. Use what feels most comfortable or practical to you. I've always used the fingering suggested in Speed Mechanics, even before I found the book. It just felt natural to me. Paul Gilbert, on the other hand, uses his 3rd finger when playing that same stretch, as you do.

One advantage to using your second is that it facilitates even greater stretches with your fourth finger. It sure makes playing something like this much easier:

E---15-12-------14-12-------15-12-------17-12---------------
    B---------15-12-------15-12-------15-12-------15-12---------
    G-----------------------------------------------------------

LH---3--1--3--1--2--1--3--1--3--1--3--1--4--1--3--1----------
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I thought this thread was going to be about sex.

Comment

I am all for learning new techniques in that department. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I thought this thread was going to be about sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

use whatever YOU want and whatever feels comfortable for you. I hate when people think there is only ONE way of doing something, read it in a book and think that is the way to do it. I happen to use both methods depending where I am on the fretboard.
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I use 1, 2 and 4 because I get a bigger stretch between the 1st and 2nd finger than between the 3rd and 4th fingers - biomechanically speaking.
              I just think most peoples hands are made this way.

But I definitely agree with use what is comfortable.
              However you may change your mind over time as to what is comfortable when you try different things out.
              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Paul Gilbert hardly ever uses his middle finger when playing three note per string patterns and it doesn't slow him down. So use whatever is comfortable.

Comment

I use the 2nd finger as my 1st choice, like what was side above it gives me more room to stretch my 4th finger. Go with whatever feels the best to you.
                  www.kiddhavok.com
                  www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

I'll use either or. 2nd is preferred for ease of the stretch. I agree with skidd on what feels more natural. For me, I would get used to both. I did and it has helped at times when I needed one or the other.

Comment

I use my fingers in the number of frets needed.

3rd fret would get third finger, unless the third was too far away, it would get the fourth (pinky) finger.

I usually play like this, except for powerchords, for which I always use a pinky, because I love having two fingers free for switch and extra stuff.

That's another important thing, sometimes you have to hold a certain chord or finger a certain arpeggio in a certain non-comfortable way, because the progression or the next part of a solo might require your fingers to already be in some sort of position. In this case you should find the most comofortable position in which you can still make the transition and position switch fluently, and then just practice practice practice until it's 100% comfortable.
                      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

slightly old thread but I'm new here so I'll post to it [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I first started playing whole steps with 1 3 4, but recently I have been practicing them also with 1 2 4, 1 2 3, and 2 3 4. The last 2 are obviously pretty hard, but I want to try getting into the 4-note-per-string thing in the future so it may be useful. Enjoy

Comment

Working...
                        X