Theory question about powerchords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Theory question about powerchords

In your first example, if you were playing in E natural minor, the F# should be Fm7b5 if you extended the chord out, and C# is not part of the scale as you noted. Iron Maiden and every other metal band would play a R5 there, of course.

It's really just a matter of your ear accepting the R5. A root 5th is a perfect harmony, as is an octave. It is neither major, minor, dominant or diminished.It is also not an actual chord (only two notes are present).Your ear will accept the R5th in that instance because of this, making it sound like a "filled out" root note. Even soloing over the R5 in E natural minor will sound acceptable to your ear because of this, because of the way your ear will translate the R5 perfect harmony into the key.

The same would apply to the B, or any other R5.

Comment

And there is no rule that you need to stay in the confines of one scale. Some of the notes outside the scale will sound great over certain chords in a progression but the just sound like **** over others.
      http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

Just play over the progression, and see which notes sound good to you... some of the better stuff I've come up with has been when I was soloing off the cuff, and wasn't thinking "ok, gotta hit the G note here..." Also, unless you're Jake E Lee (check out the winter's call solo off the first badlands disc... Jake hits a b2 and SUSTAINS it!) more than likely your passing tones are going to be brief and leading into more pleasant sounding ones.

Pete

Comment

OR you can do what Petrucci does, play chromatic REALLY fast. And they will sound just fine over any progression.Bwhahahahaha [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

FOng [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Damn... and here I thought the E minor scale was E, F#, G, A, B, C, D, E. And now C# is okay if I'm in E minor dorian... Ahhhh! I hate theory. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry.. I was thinking of only the decending circle of 5ths. Brain doesn't work so well when one is at work and working of of little sleep.

Sorry.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

C sharp could also be part of an E melodic minor scale.

Comment

Fuggit. If it sounds good, who cares what scale it's in?

Comment

I agree with that aswell but sometimes it can be useful to know.

Comment

theory is sweet to know.

E minor, is just that, E minor, you are right on what the E minor scale is.

Yes, there is an Fb, but when you play an Fb, you're just playing in E, even musically speaking (looking over my notes).

Some of my key changes are actually pretty interesting. I'll go to the 5th of where I want to go, and sometimes to prep it, I'll go to the 5th, of that 5th before I go, and every once in awhile, I'll go to the 7th, of the 5th, of the 5th.

Comment

Working...
                    X