Fast bends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast bends

OK I'm confused for when it comes to bends and "fast" music. How would you play that bend part in to sound like the recording of Enter Sandman in starts at 2:49 and goes:

12th fret on the 1st string (E), 15th fret bend full step on the second string (B), repeat that a bunch of times in 16ths notes.

12 -- 12 -- 12 -- 12 --
    -- 15B-- 15B-- 15B-- 15B

Or something a bit more complex like 4:11 in the Crazy Train studio version on the first 3 strings (E B G), where Randy does 16th note triplets (he ends on a bend) followed by an 8th note bend.

It'd be like 14 (a 16th note triplet) on the E, 17 (16th note triplet) pick off onto 14 on the B bending it up a full step (16th note triplet), then doing an 8th note bend on the 17th fret. And shifting the pattern over sharpening it by a fret each time (chromatic I guess).

14 -- -- -- -- 15 -- -- -- --
    -- 17p14B-- -- -- 18p15B-- --
    -- -- -- 17B-- -- -- -- 18B--

(Best diagrams I could come up with without pasting Guitar Pro screenshots, if I'm that confusing I could do that)

Re: Fast bends

Sorry if I'm reading wrong, but what is your question?
    You asked:

"How would you play that bend part in to sound like the recording of Enter Sandman..."

...you tabbed it out right there.

When I first started trying faster bends like the ones you have there, it did take sometime to acutally play them as fast as their writters did. All it pretty much consists of cycling over and over what you have tabbed out. I'm really not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand your question. Hope that helps...

Comment

OK I can see many ways of playing it, but I'm trying to get the most proper sounding as the recording and tabs usually aren't 100% accurate.

For example...

I could play by holding my 1st finger on the 12th fret picking that note and picking the 15th fret and releasing it after the bend up.

or

I could pick the 12th fret release it, pick the 15th bend up and release it...

Do you start to see what I mean?

Comment

Okay, I sorta see what you meen. I guess my best answer for you would be try to listen to the song if you feel the tab is questionable. When jamming with licks that are cycled over and over like your examples (or almost anything with faster tempo), it's hard to be in perfect synchronization while playing along with the tune/musician.

Just from looking at your tabbed arrangement of "Enter Sandman", it looks like a typical lick that lots of "standardized" guys play a lot. When aproaching something like that, I favor to pick the bent note first (with the pinky, if not ring finger), and then while slowly relasing it hit the stationary note (held with the pointer finger), then repeat over and over. I'm not sure if thats the way its "done", but thats the habit for me. Hope that helps out somemore...

Comment

Every song is going to be played differently. You'll just have to listen to it and figure it out. I haven't learned Enter Sandman, but I just listened to it and for that part I would pick the 12th with 1st finger, release first finger while picking the 15th with 4th finger, bend up 1 whole step, then go back to the 12th. The release of the bend is not heard in that part of that song, so you release it silently while you pick the E string.

That may or may not make sense..

Comment

Best way is to slow it down and try to copy what you hear. I used to spin records with my finger to slow stuff down (I'm old) Later I used a reel to reel at half speed, after that I used my 4 track, then a phrase sampler, now I use the Amazing Slow Downer (which is free) here http://www.ronimusic.com/ I've posted this a couple times before. People must think I work there [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But I don't. I've been a guitar instructor for years and I stand behind that program.

Comment

Working...
            X