Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Principles

Has anyone seen this site? www.guitarprinciples.com

It seems to focus more on the way to practice correctly. I've seen a lot of posts on here regarding concentrated practicing. Reading this site, it talks about relaxation and being aware of the muscles that tense during playing. It looks like a step by step process on looking out for those tensioned muscles and to fix them.

It doesn't give you a bunch of scales to practice, but a way to approach whatever it is you want to play by practicing correctly.

I know everyone has their own style and technique, I was just curious about this site.

I've been playing for 9 years and still consider myself sucko. My theory knowledge is good, but my technique is what is holding me back. I have a great guitar teacher who is not one of them talkers, but sits right down, does a review of the last lesson and gets right on the next. Problem is, is that even though he's been teaching for 35 years and is truly amazing, he is blind, so though he can build my theory and tell me what to do, he can't see what I'm doing, technique wise. So if my hand positions are wrong, to me it would seem normal.

I want to build my own structured practice being efficient as possible and "starting from page 1" with my technique. Any inputs that may add to this structured practice would be appreciated. This Guitar Principles site seems to be giving good info regarding practice techniques. As with anything else, if you feel relaxed while doing it makes sense. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Re: Guitar Principles

That looks like a cool site. For their metal heads they reference Stetina. What Stetina says and this site says is right on about relaxation. You will not break your personal speed barriers unless you learn to relax. If you're doing drills and your sphincter tightens up, you're not doing it right! lol. Another giveaway is if your fretting fingers (like your index or pinky) start pointing away stiffly from the fretboard when you're doing a drill. That means your hand muscles are all tight and forcing your fingers to point all over the place. Concentrate on lightly fretting the 1st note, then releasing it, and moving your hand gently so that you can fret the 2nd note with the 2nd finger without effort. The 1st set of exercises in Stetina's book are good for developing this new skill. You will be playing REALLY SLOW for a few days before the penny drops.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I think you are on the right track.

I picture guitar like weight training. Strengthen your fingers as much as possible using hammer ons, legato, etc...

Then work also on picking.

Then work on relaxing which is not easy. Make sure you have a warm up routine.

This stuff is hard and takes countless hours and years.

I would also recommend a mentor - find some guy who is really good to practice or jam with.

They will show you things you will never learn anywhere else.

There is only so much you can absorb from videos and DVD's.

Imagine trying to learn golf or some other sport with only DVD's and no coach or mentors. Same thing with guitar.
      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Thanks,
        I do have the Stetina booklet also. I've already organized my practice schedule and in the future want to include the booklet. Right now I'm taking it slow and following the general guideline of the site, you know , watching what I'm doing closely, being aware of my movements.

One of the big problems I forsee, is I'm playing with a band, so when we start into a song, I don't have time to think of "correct positioning". I play my normal style which is different then what I'm trying to relearn. I'll figure it out somehow. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Well technically there is correct positioning but whatever works.

Just keep doing the exercises and over time your playing will naturally change and develop on its own.

One day you will find you are playing better, different, etc... It will come. You will be so different in a matter of a year you won't beleive it.

Just keep practicing.
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Just keep doing the exercises and over time your playing will naturally change and develop on its own.

One day you will find you are playing better, different, etc... It will come. You will be so different in a matter of a year you won't beleive it.

Just keep practicing

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll keep on the path. One of the things I was worried about, is taking all this time to sit there and practice correctly, then go ahead and unravel everything when I got up to play. It's kind of like trying to teach an old dog new tricks. If the correct practicing will eventually have an effect on my performance playing, then it'll be worth it. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X