depressed....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• depressed....

ive been trying recently to change my style of riffing. everytime i sit down to play i improvise the same melodic riffs in the same key with the same chords...i need to make eviler, thrashier, non-melodic riffs like "the haunted"'s riffs. any suggestions how i can change direction overnight?? i came to the point of almost giving up guitar today cuz its so frustrating. i have literally grown sick of hearing myself play the same stuff day in, day out.

Re: depressed....

get the powertab editor and got to their website and down load some tabs of whoever you want to sound like, start learning them and you'll begin to pick up different riffs. I've been working on some Greg Howe stuff lately and his style is very different from what I usually play, but now I'm starting to incorporate some of his style and ideas into my playing. (Very cool stuff) Learn as much as you can and you will expand your "Riffage" so to speak.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I can relate to that. It is a tough habit to break.
      For me the key was to simply play scales slow/fast anywhere on the board until you forget and reprogram your playing.

You will get to new ground.
      It's not going to happen overnight.

Comment

non-melodic? Who would want to do that? =/

Comment

Fuckin' A!!! I play non-meolodic all the time. Clashing chords, chromatic runs, seemingly random note selection. You know the rules. Now try and break them. Instead of playing the patterns that you always fall into, try to play AVOIDING the chords in the keys/scales you know. It might sound like ass at first, but just keep working through new patterns until you find something you like. Or what I also sometimes do is open the Guitar Grimoire to a random page, pick a scale I've never used, and try and learn something in the F# Neapolitan Minor.

And for rythyms, they are really just composed of numbers. Look around your room, there are numbers everywhere. Phone numbers, bank numbers, the number of windows in your room. One band I really like uses phone numbers, both for rythyms and melodies. For example, you can use a phone number or a zip code and translate it into frets. For example, my ZIP is 90731. Try the 9th fret, open string, 7th fret, 3rd fret, then the 1st fret. See what that sounds like. If you also notice, that's a 5 chord progression. You can base your counting on fives if you like, that should spice up your rythyms. Or use the number to denote beats. For a real twist, pick another zip code and use that to determine how many beats you play each chord in your first zip code. If you second zip code is 24345, play the 9th fret two beats, the open string four beats, the 7th fret three beats, the 3rd fret four beats, and the first fret five beats. I GUARANTEE that you'll get a song unlike anything you've ever heard before.

Comment

a good idea is to have different tunings and setups on different guitars, or if you don't own several guitars then just experiment with tuning on the one you have.
            I find that when I play on my Ibanez which is D-tuned with heavier strings and EMG mics, I tend to compose more heavy riffing with a little less melody even though I almost always harmonies at some point during a song.
            Meanwhile, on my Jackson SL2H I keep it stock E tuning with .10-46, it's usually heavy but in a different way.
            The best way to do music like you mentioned (The Haunted, Machine Head, Sepultura etc.) is to try a drop tuning such as either drop-D or drop-C...
            like kmanick said it's also good to learn the music you like to hear, that way you'll pick up bits and pieces and you can try to incorporate that into your own style.
            (but by all means avoid plagiarism)
            good luck,

- Rune.

Comment

Most bands like the Haunted and Sepultura used standard tuning in a lower key, not drop-tuning. I've been playing death metal for years, and you'll never see me drop-tuned.

Comment

get some slayer tabs...see how they use chromatic passages, the b5th, trills and most of all subtle variations of riffs to keep you interested. also, remember, music is not just melody..add different rhythmic patterns and rests to let the chords/notes speak and breathe.

Comment

Listen to different types of music. That sometimes gives me a "fresh" view of things.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    And for rythyms, they are really just composed of numbers...For example, you can use a phone number or a zip code and translate it into frets.

[/ QUOTE ]

^ I am so trying this! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Mazhar- One thing I do is listen to the Classical Composers for inspiration. Particularly Mozart, Bach and Chopin. Clemente is another good one (very fast). I like to listen to rhythm changes particularly or pick out some interesting scales (the sheet music helps for this) and then play it in another key and jumble it all around.

Good luck!

Em

Comment

I don't think classical will work so well for "non-melodic" music!

Comment

You'd be surprised. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

hehe hey thanks alot everyone..lotsa different ideas here to try...especially the fone number idea, lol! very original i must say! i was just going thru some other topic in this form and came across an alternate tuning of DADGAD...very evil mofo-ish hhehe!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            For a real twist, pick another zip code and use that to determine how many beats you play each chord in your first zip code. If you second zip code is 24345, play the 9th fret two beats, the open string four beats, the 7th fret three beats, the 3rd fret four beats, and the first fret five beats. I GUARANTEE that you'll get a song unlike anything you've ever heard before.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Cephalic f*cking Carnage!

Comment

or just use Ninja Guitar;s Signature and play to that!

Comment

Working...
                              X