Who Shred's w/ 12's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Shred's w/ 12's

hey guys, just wanted to see who used 12's in standard tuning for shredding style music, prog rock and all that stuff, I have had a set on for a few months and its getting easier, but I am not sure how much easier it CAN get with the piano wire I have strapped to my charvel, anyways, share some stories! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Who Shred\'s w/ 12\'s

No stories here bro. Even SRV eventually downsized from 12's because the gauge was too rough on his hands and fingers. Why make shredding any harder? I have a good idea. Why don't you use Fender Squire single coils, raise the action as high as it can go with those 12's and shred dead clean with no distortion at all. Oh yea... I almost forgot... don't use a pick. Picks are for sissys.

Comment

I use 9's but I want to try 8's one of these days. I've tried big strings and high action (on an acoustic...) and they were just fine until I tried to bend. The same goes for nylon strings too. I could play just as fast as normal but bends were harder to do, maybe I'm just weird?

Comment

LOL, you know, some people I really think could do that...sadly enough

Comment

I just wanted to use this post to see if it was posible, because the strings sound really good acoustically, its just hard as hell to play 'em.

Comment

I could never make it with strings that heavy. I did use 11's 6 or 7 years ago in a blues/rock based band. The tone was fat, but after a while it was killing my fingers. I downgraded to 10's on my strats and I use 9's on my more metal guitars.

Comment

I'm a puss, so it's 9's all the way. I've never played with 12's so I can't even imagine what it's like. Although, I guess I could smack my fingertips with a ballpeen hammer to simulate. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Nobody I ever heard of.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

12's in standard tuning would be hell on your guitar neck. Do it and see what happens.

I had a SRV nut tell me that Stevie never used anything that heavy and I believe he was tuned down a 1/2 step too. Is that right?
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I think SRV was tuned down to Eb, considering my brother's band does quite a few SRV covers and they are tuned to Eb.

I play 12s... on my acoustic guitars. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Not much bending action going on there... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And 12s are considered "lights" in the acoustic world! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I use 11's currently on my Warrior...but it's also tuned down to C so they still kinda flop as if I was tuned up to A440 with 9's

I don't use anything higher than 10's in standard tuning though.

Comment

Wow, down to C. 11's work pretty good for that I'll bet. And I thought my 7 string tuned to pitch was pretty demonic. And as for the 2 prior posts, SRV did tune down to Eb. Heavier strings tuned down always works better for bends and tone too.

Comment

For C you should check out those 'not even slinky' strings from Ernie Ball.

There's quite an interesting little video of Petrucci where he demonstrates them while tuned to C.
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Wow, down to C. 11's work pretty good for that I'll bet. And I thought my 7 string tuned to pitch was pretty demonic. And as for the 2 prior posts, SRV did tune down to Eb. Heavier strings tuned down always works better for bends and tone too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...they do the job, without too much "slink" It's also convenient, because I don't have to make any drastic neck or bridge adjustments to the guitar to use 11's in that tuning.

GOR.....I have yet to try those EB No Slink strings. I'm stuck with my old favorite...GHS Boomers...and can never seem to get away from them!

Comment

11's tuned standard, tried 12's didnt like them. im actually starting to use 10-52 & 10-49s on some guitar now tho.

Comment

Working...
                              X