Stiff right hand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiff right hand.

For quite a while now, I've a bit of a problem with my right hand feeling stiff. There isn't any pain. All of my right hand fingers, especially my thumb, feel like they just don't want to move very fast, and my right hand isn't as flexible as my left hand. My thumb tends to "pop" quite often when I stretch and flex it around. My left hand always feels fine and normal. I am right handed. Any of you guys know what the problem could, and how to go about fixing it? I am gonna see a doctor about it pretty soon.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Please guys, leave the masturbation thing out of this, okay.

Re: Stiff right hand.

Hmmm I dunno. My right hand isn't as flexible as the left just because the fingers move a lot less often. I would say just try to relax as much as possible while playing, but if it doesn't go away definitely see the doctor.

Comment

did this stiffness coincide with the weather getting colder? History of arthritis in the family? How old are you?

Fact of the matter is, cold weather, age, overuse, lack of sleep, dehydration, etc can all affect this problem. Chances are if you are like me (28 yo) it is just a matter of age combined with the cold weather (Michigan, right). Just make sure you warm up-heck, put a glove on for a few minutes, sit on your hand, just stick it in your pocket,whatever. I find that this gets rid of the stiffness pretty quickly. If it is really painful, try ALEVE-that is the only OTC analgesic that actually seems to work well. YOu could try some flex-all too if you can stand the smell.

Comment

It doesn't seem to coincide with the cold weather, but yeah I do live in Michigan. I'm 20, and I believe my dad has arthritis. Also, I'm a death/black metal guitarist, so my picking hand has to move fast. I stick my hand in front of a heater whenever possible before playing, which does seem to help.

Comment

Go see a chiropractor. If you've got nerve interference from your neck it can affect you hand very easily.

Comment

I've also noticed that when I go through a period of not sleeping well I tend to get random aches and pains especially in my back and knees. DO you get enough rest? DO you spend several hours a day with your right hand on your computer mouse? could just be plain old fatigue. Let it rest a few days, take some advil or aleve and see if it continues. THat is what a doctor will tell you to do first anyway, then next will come the physical therapy, x-rays, nerve tests, MRI's and finally vasectomy.....

Comment

Well I've got the problem with my left hand (fretting).

I think it's mostly due to the cold though, I just tense up in cold.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I sleep just fine. Always at least eight hours a night. However, I do use the computer a good deal, which I'm sure does contribute a great deal.

I don't know if it really matters, but I'm a very small person. At 5'5" I'm actually almost tall for my size. So I'm thinking naturally smaller muscles means I'm naturally just gonna have more problems with stiffness and fatigue.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I don't know if it really matters, but I'm a very small person. At 5'5" I'm actually almost tall for my size. So I'm thinking naturally smaller muscles means I'm naturally just gonna have more problems with stiffness and fatigue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, shouldn't matter at all. The human body is incredibly adaptable. You train your muscles and they respond by getting stronger and having more endurance.

Oh by the way, do you know of a guy named Randy Rhoads?

Comment

Randy was a little guy, wasn't he?

Comment

STRETCH REGULARLY!

It's one of the least talked about, and most important aspects of playing.

Stretch each finger ,individually, back slowly... move to the next finger, then the thumb. Rub your hand, get some blood flowing. Warm it up with 3-5 minutes of this. Do it with each hand.

It would also help to excercise the muscles... get one of those finger thingies and do some reps right after your stretches. I bet after a week or two you'll notice an improvement.

There is the possibility that this might not help you, but it certainly can't help.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

There is the possibility that this might not help you, but it certainly can't help.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I stretch, and I try and wear a long sleeve shirt for about an hour before playing if it's even a little cold out. Warm up slowly if you are stiff and sore, don't just push yourself to the point of hurting yourself. When the blood starts flowing and they warm up some, shake them out vigorously, with your fingers loose like your packing a can of Copenhagen. Loose relaxed fingers are fingers with good circulation. Fingers with good circulation get more blood to fuel the muscles, which makes them faster and more limber. You've got to get blood flowing down there, bottom line. I warm up for about 10-15 minutes before I even plug in when I am practicing with my band.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

lol... typo... it should read:

"but it certainly can't hurt" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I read that line and just thought [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] . I needed that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I actually just got back from a classical guitar performance, and my right hand feels great. I was sure to warm up and stretch a lot before performing. Did a world of difference. Thumb still needs some improvement, though.

In all honesty, I think bad practicing habits are at fault here. Which is my fault. I asked several other experienced guitarists about this, and they gave some great advice.

Thanks for the help guys! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

It takes me 30-60 minutes to get totally warmed up and play at full speed, depending on how cold my hands are to begin with. (I have slightly poor circulation so my hands tend to get cold if it's below 70 degrees inside)

Comment

Working...
                              X