Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megadeth

Tornado of Souls is kicking my ass.

I'm having a real tough time getting the main riff, I mean I can play most of the song note for note but I can't cop the feel to save my ass. I've been slowing it down & playing it at full tempo ,I've also been looping small sections(playing with the song), if I miss one beat I'm screwed and can't ,"hear", it or pick it back up for that matter. My teacher says I'm forcing it...Any suggestions? What have you guys learned to do in this circumstance?

Re: Megadeth

Go take a shower. Really, it will get your blood flowing and warm up your muscles and tendons, get more oxygen into your brain. It will also take your mind off the frustration you are feeling right now. Don't forget to re-apply deoderant once you get out.

Comment

Don't listen to Ace!Don't have a shower!In a couple of days you will be dirty and stinky,then the spirit of metal will flow in your veins and you will be able to play any metal riff known to mankind! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
      J/K!
      If you're not able to play it correctly yet,don't force it as your teacher told you.Just keep training,it needs time but in the end you will learn it.

Comment

Keep practicing. That's the only thing I know that actually works..
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Instead of trying to play it... since you're frustrated, find some other activity, listen to the song a few times, and try again.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

You guys are definately right on about just kind of blowing it off and doing something else. Alot of times I will do just that and then come back and I can do something I had been struggling with. Usually when my mindset is, "man, quit whining and just do it", I can do it. This one....I haven't had much luck with....this is a hard F'ing song. What I'm a little unsure about is this....typically when I'm frustrated like this..I'll move on either to playing something else or to a different segment of the song. My teacher wants to really concentrate on teaching me the solo, (it's my fav. of all time), and the idea is for me to cover rhythm and him to solo at the same time and then we will begin switch roles as I learn the solo...while holding the tempo etc. How can we do that if I can't even keep up or play the friggin' riff w/o getting lost and not able to pick it back up if I miss a beat. My instinct and my typical response to this is to move on through the song...that's the question..do you just stick with the section that's kicking your ass or do you just move on to get through the song? If I move on I feel like I'm ,"giving up".....If I throw in the towel and say, "It's just over my head at the moment and move onto to something else with a similar vibe...am I giving up? I'm going to go find some cheese for my whine now.

Comment

Definitely [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

If you can slow it down, you need to get to the point where you can sing the riff. If you can't sing the riff (whether slowed down or normal speed) that means that you haven't truly internalized the phrasing.

And, actually, you don't need to sing it in tune or even close. As long as you can just go "ba-ba-ba...ba-ba-ba-ba" in monotone and nail where the notes land with each "ba", that's good enough.

Once you've nailed the phrasing with your voice, that's 90% of getting the riff down.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Also, I have heard that a small amount of a certain illegal substance can help you lock into the proper phrasing, but that's only a rumor. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Sing This riffage [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

That's some riffage I guess...just not my thing.

Seventh Son...that's funny you say that because I don't do any," illegal", stuff any more but one of my buddys seems to be making a new habit of it here recently. I caved into peer pressure one night about a month ago.....I swear I never played better and got into that,"zone"...you know the one when your fingers just relax and every note sings exactly the way you want with seemingly zero effort...I can't start that crap again though.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I guess I'll just suck it up and keep on working on it.

I really paid some attention to what I was doing and noticed something....going through the riff there is one spot where I slow down a little which you can't do to nail the vibe. What I've done in the past was to slow EVERYTHING down to the tempo of the spot you play slow and try to build off of that.

This has just been one of those moments when you want to throw the guitar out the window....I hate those brick walls.

We need a Towelie graemlin

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Sing This riffage [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's possible. Not too hard, either.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I swear I never played better and got into that,"zone"...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, to be fair, the substances are a crutch. They can't make you do anything your mind/body aren't capable of doing in the first place. What I think they do help with is lower your inhibitions on being naturally creative and expressive. In our normal every day lives with responsibilities, jobs, etc. we create a lot of "normalcy" handcuffs on ourselves so that we can function "normally" in the real world. Those types of handcuffs tend to hinder creativity/expressiveness/ability to groove/ whatever you want to call it.

Now before people start accusing me of advocating drugs, the best way to overcome any inhibitions to your musical expressiveness is to build up self-confidence in your chops. And that's just lots and lots of practice.

Kind of like dancing. If some hot chick asks you to dance and you're going to be the only couple on the dance floor in a crowded club, you're going to wish that you either know how to dance or that you downed a lot of drinks. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I smoke lots of pot when I play guitar. And when I don't.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I smoke lots of pot when I play guitar. And when I don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X