string noises problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• string noises problems

I'm having a hard time cleaning up my playing. I'm trying to record Rose of Sharyn and it seems like i get string noises no matter what from the palm mutting intro.

any ideas.

Re: string noises problems

Turn down the tone knob on your guitar.

Comment

mute with both hands...and if you have a POD use the noisegate

Comment

argh this is frustraiting. i have to like re-learn everything now. i hate guitar (kicks feet)

Comment

How do you kick your feet?

Comment

I can't play when I kick my feet.

Comment

I tap my foot. Maybe when you kick yourself the vibration travels through your bones and translates into your guitar strings. Stop kicking yourself. Simple awnser to that one...NEXT!!

Comment

When playing that sorta music with a high gain amplifier and a hot as hell pickup (don't know what your playing through, just assuming), I would invest in a damn good EQ unit of some sort. I've heard a lotta good things about parametric EQ's (dude, I know nothing when it comes to this, so anyone else but me would be the person to ask, this is just my suggestion), so finding something to tighten everything up would kill some of that extra noise without turning down the gain/volume/tone/etc. and still keep a great saturated and tight tone. That's the gear aspect of it. There's so many ways to go about it, so if I contradict what someone else said here (no offence btw if I did), don't take my words literally. It's all experimentation.

The technique aspect of it, watch carefully which strings you hit and where your palm is when you PM em. A slight graze on the strings by your hand might pick up and feed back on ya. Kinda just gotta practice till you find that sweet spot near the bridge end of the guitar I guess. And just like everyon else said, stop kickin yourself, lol. Good luck.

- Irfaan -

Comment

I switched from traditional shaped picks to the small ones that come to a fairly pointed picking point. This is a little of a cheat (I don't know why so many of us feel this way), because there is simply less ,"bulk", to strike the strings when skipping strings and stuff. I'm able to get a really good fast and consistent alternate attack this way. Another ,"technique mistake", I've noticed about myself is that whether skipping strings or anything for that matter I'm not consitenly paralell to the strings. I've noticed if I somewhat lock my arm/wrist and get my elbow going as sort of a, "pivot" and improves the general paralellism of my attack. You're struggling with something we all struggle with, the parametric EQ is great advice...big learning curve though which I'm still in. If you want to make yourself feel even worse but improve in the long run...start playing with your amp cranked. I can play particular riffs/scales/pieces in general fairly clean but when the volume goes north your ready to throw your axe through the window because all your picking flaws come full focus but the more you play cranked the better you'll get. Probably the absolute BEST thing you could do is to go Acoustic...don't even touch your electric for a couple weeks...you will be amazed when you return to your electric. We've all been there before and will most assuradly be there again...just stick with it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Probably the absolute BEST thing you could do is to go Acoustic...don't even touch your electric for a couple weeks...you will be amazed when you return to your electric. We've all been there before and will most assuradly be there again...just stick with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second going acoustic. I also didn't touch my electric for a few months. When I picked it up finally my technique was about 1000X better and my playing was a lot more precise and clear. Got a little faster too, but going back to basics is a good solution to problems.

- Irfaan -

Comment

You need to learn to mute unplayed strings with both hands. Playing acoustic will help with hand strength and coordination, but won't help as much with muting because an acoustic guitar doesn't have the tendency for unintentional strings to 'freak out' as much as an overdriven or cranked electric does.

Proper string muting while playing is the key to making your guitar parts ring out without any extra noise.

Pete

Comment

I'm trying to do what you guys say , but it's kind of hard to use my left hand when the song is demanding [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

http://home.comcast.net/~djmihow/damnthisnoise.mp3

I play it through, and the last note has hit, then muted, i get this damn ringing sound. I'm trying to mute with my left hand, but it's hard to do and when i mute with my right on the bridge i get this ringing sound that i repeat after i play the riff.

Comment

Pete definately brings up a good point about muting technique...I have trouble with this too. One thing I do is use the top tip of my left fingers to try and mute the string above the string I am fretting. To try and tighten up your palm mutes, if you are like me you have a tendency to rest the side of your picking hand on the bridge for muting. What this does in reality is give you a semi muted effect...try to bring your picking hand forward and simply mute the strings harder if that makes sense. Look bro I feel your pain..it's frustrating as hell...for a good exercise...work with the machine gun section in the Metallica song, "One"...you know...,"darkness... imprisoning me, all that I see..absolute horror"...it will drive you friggin' nuts because it's 1.Fast 2. Precise 3.Tight as anything I can think of off the top of my head and to make matters worse it is done on 3 strings ; the machine gun on the low E and the ,"conclusions" on the A&D....tough riff.

Comment

I mute with both hands. Sometimes, it's the only way.

Comment

One other thing... does your guitar have a tremolo? sometimes the springs can resonate after you stop playing. Try tying them together with a rubber band, that helps sometimes.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X