Playing sitting vs standing up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing sitting vs standing up

So I've been doing all of my practicing while sitting on my couch, and have gotten really used to it. The other day I tried to grab my guitar and play some stuff standing up and couldn't play nearly as well as I normally can, particularly past the 10th or 12th fret on the low strings. Anyone else ever notice this before or am I just weird?

I'm probably going to buy an RR1 or KV2 so I'll force myself to play standing up all the time...

Re: Playing sitting vs standing up

Zakk Wylde practices sitting down. And he says it takes him about a week of practicing standing up to get ready for a tour.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

i play with my guitar standing in the same position (classical) as when i am sitting and have few if any problems. if you do this as well, maybe you will just have to play standing a little more to get used to it.

Comment

What exactly is classical position? Anyone post or link a picture of it for me? I think I have the idea of it, but not too sure.

Comment

If you're right handed and sitting down a stool...like a drum throne...not a chair...

Left foot on a foot stool (they actually make one specifically for guitarists, but a stack of books will do). belly cut of guitar on top of left thigh. butt of guitar against right inner thigh. headstock about eye height.

Sort of like how people have to play V's sitting down.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Most people have trouble playing standing up because the hang the guitar down to their kneecaps to look cool. Try raising it up a bit and see how it feels.

It's still a compromise, because their is no way I'm gonna jack it up to my chin like a bluegrass picker! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I play both. When I write music I usually write it sitting down, because the neck doesn't move and I can sit and think about what I am doing. When I am playing with the band, of course I play standing up. I also play standing up at home often in front of a full size mirror. I know that people will laugh at you if they catch you playing guitar and dancing around in the mirror, but the truth is that's how you build stage presence.

Comment

I play better in the classical position. I have always played better sitting.

Comment

classical position all the way!!!!! It's more anatomically correct and can even prevent any tendon issues that may occur otherwise from awkwardly bending your wrist.

Comment

Standing up when playing electric guitar (except when learning songs in front of my computer), sitting down in classical position for acoustic guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't play as well standing up, since most of the time I play I sit in the before mentioned "classical" position. Before gigs however, I'll go through the set a couple of time a day for a few days prior standing up to get comfortable since my band doesn't practice nearly enough. It's definitely more comfortable to have the guitar up higher on your body, but you have to make a compromise between comfort and looking like a tool...

Ace's suggestion was a great one as well. If you are playing out, it's never a bad idea to play in front of a mirror and see how you look. People want to be entertained, and not just listen to some guy ripping away on the fretboard. Everyone in a band should try to develop the whole package... tone, technique and LOOKS. Sounds kinda gay, but it's true, especially for guys in original bands trying to "make it".

Comment

If I'm PRACTICING practicing, I sit down and play, but I really prefer standing up and playing.

Comment

I play both. The key is finding the proper height to play while standing up. To me playing with the guitar down to the knee capps is NOT cool if you can't play anything but root/5 chords [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think if you are only playing one way, when you change its going to take time to get used to the other way.

Yngwie playes with his guitar up pretty high and he doesn't look like a geek. last time I check guitar was a musical thing, not a poster boy visual thing.
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've noticed a trend... the lower people are wearing their pants, the lower they are also wearing their guitars. I am not getting it. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyway, some good points have been made already. I practice and play both ways just to be versatile. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Em

(Ace, you crack me up! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Comment

I play more sitting than standing. I find that I play better sitting, but if I know the material very well, it isn't hard to play standing. Part of the problem I have may be my guitars themselves. I have a Kelly, a Destroyer and a Strat. The Kelly and the Destroyer aren't very comfortable sitting for long, and the strings sit at a different height than the strat, i.e. higher than normal. This adds to the difference when standing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X