Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playing sitting vs standing up

[ QUOTE ]
    full size mirror. I know that people will laugh at you if they catch you playing guitar and dancing around in the mirror, but the truth is that's how you build stage presence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh heh, I do that, especially when I bring home a new guitar. I dress up, take my hair down, and pose away! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Like tonight, with my new Agile.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I said play, not pose Ron! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

At least I don't DANCE! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I almost always play standing up, both at band practice and at home. The only exception being when I sit in front of the computer to learn something by tab (or tabbing something myself for my bands). When I have memorized the piece I always stand up to practice it.
          And when I sit down I still use a strap so it hangs down in almost the same position. This way I make sure that I'm not thinking "Yeah, I can play that" and then I stand at band practice and **** it up or something. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            ...couldn't play nearly as well as I normally can, particularly past the 10th or 12th fret on the low strings....RR1 or KV2 so I'll force myself to play standing up all the time...

[/ QUOTE ]
            first: i do play RR sitting too for practice sometimes, as many of us do (classical position)
            second: if you can´t play properly when stand up with axe on knees, cause your left fingers are too short [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            then try to rest your V(RR,V,Star,ML) on your right thigh and TOPPLE the AXE SLIGHTLY OVER to the front [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
            you will notice that it´s a lot easier to reach even frets 17+ on the low E string [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            the thing is, you must know where you are cause you will not see much more than you sidemarkerdots
            but it´s cool for posin, and easier to play
            so, that´s why i really like to play Vs on stage [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            standard shapes are for home, practice and recording

Comment

Well I dunno...middle finger=3.25" little finger=2.375"

I tried to put my Soloist in this classical position and couldn't make it stay without my left hand holding up the neck so I guess I'm doing something wrong.

Comment

thetroy, I always play in the classical position, even with my Soloist. I find it sits perfectly nice over your left leg, just let the body drop diagonally in between your legs and keep it from falling with your right knee.

I always in the classical position when playing sitting, and I play sitting most of the time. During jams or at gigs , when standing up, I wear my guitar just below my chest.
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

http://www.guitarprinciples.com/Guit...ue/sitting.htm
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Set your strap higher if you want to shred above the 12th fret. I've found that if you're going to be gigging, you must practice standing up at least 1/4 of your total practice time. Well that's the formula that's worked for me anyway...

Comment

I had a hard time playing standing up without my guitar up so high I looked like an idiot in some 50s pop band. I got strap locks and loosened the strap so the pickups are now at about crotch level, but the neck points up at about 45 degrees above horizontal. Now it's so much easier to solo. Look at how Zakk Wylde has his guitar, it's sorta like that. I have a LP, too, so maybe that's just the way to do it with these heavy beasts.

Comment

stand whenever im playing unless learning new song, in front of my computer....just like Number of the Priest. thats just the way it should... oh and what wrong with LOOKING cool... i find i play better lookn cool then i do..standing like a toothpick.

Comment

It's a guitar *not* a necklace. Lower it.

Comment

Working...
                          X