Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Modes

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree jg. Although I consider myself fairly well versed in scale and modes I don't over anal-yze it. That is why I said in my first post that folks should learn to apply the modes or associate the sound of them. I never think too much when I improvise, just go for it; if it sounds good and gets you there why analyze it to the 10th degree [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I 100% agree!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Same here, I know that theory stuff a little bit, but never cared of it and never use it.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I have a few students who are total theory and relative position nuts. They could tell you exactly what they are playing and show you 10 different ways to play the same piece. They also can give you an entire lecture on modes and how if you drop a dominant note and add a minor in the 5th position of the 4th minor you could go from playing in B to C# but only in the Phrygian mode with the last 3 strings changing to Locrian which actually becomes a harmonic minor scale in the 3rd position of the dominant major scale and if you drop the d and add a 3rd on the second string and a 5th on the 4th you wind up playing the dorian mode but with a sus 13th added in which actually is etc... blah blah blah......
        They know all that technical crap and have a tough time playing Ace Frehely solo's. Theory has no place in shredding. There.. I said it. What counts is NPS.
        NPS baby. NPS. The goal when using NPS as a basic principal of shredding is to lower the sour note count and increase the good note count. That is as technical as it gets.
        I am such an a$$ sometimes. Deneb asked a genuine question and I turned it into this. I suck. Thank you..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Theory has no place in shredding. There.. I said it. What counts is NPS.
          NPS baby. NPS. The goal when using NPS as a basic principal of shredding is to lower the sour note count and increase the good note count. That is as technical as it gets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rock on [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Theory is only useful if you ever slow down

Comment

Agreed...LOL...its should rock and groove and the rest really shouldn't matter. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            DiMarzio Endorsee
            www.dimarzio.com
            Morley Endorsee
            www.morley.com
            "Intelli-Shred" author
            www.myspace.com/intellishred
            NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

I just want to know more about music! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But JG, how do you think the past years of my playing have been? It's been shred my ass off, and keep the sour note count down!

Comment

Working...
              X