Dream Theater Songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Theater Songs

Hey guys, I was wondering who on here plays any DT stuff, just wondering because I almost have my first song entirely down (pull me under) and I am wondering how that ranks against their other songs in difficulty, I do understand that a lot of their songs are harder, but how would you rank the song against others? Thanks guys!

Re: Dream Theater Songs

I think it's something to be proud of if you learn any song, really. It's always a step towards developing your skill and technique. I think any DT song, no matter how easy it may seem, always has some difficult aspect to it, whether it be throughout the song, or simply a part of it. If you're cranking out some DT, you're doing a good job, man. I think Pull Me Under, solely on my opinion, would be about midrange on the easiest and most difficult scale of DT songs.

-Nick

Comment

Pull me under is one of the easier DT songs to play as its really a straight ahead rock song and not as progressive as others, its a great song though. There are more difficult DT songs to play just because the duration of some of them and odd time signatures and multiple changes within one song.

Why does the degree of difficulty matter? Pull me under is a great song and if you have it down you should be proud, great rock song in my book.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Well, I am just worried about getting other songs down later

Comment

Everything with time...

Nick

Comment

JP has a very defined style, and he doesn't stray too far from it. Once you learn one tune, the next is easier.

My DT cover...
            1928 Overture

I find his rhythms waaayyy harder than his leads.
            [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

very nice job Nor! I agree, the rhythms in odd times are more difficult than the solos most of the time.
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Pull Me Under is quite easy compared to most other songs.

And I'm in the same boat as you guys, I find playing the rhythms way harder. Eventhough he does sometimes use some pretty crazy stringskipping leads which cause me to bitch quite a lot.
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

The dream theater web site has a section of guitar tab, done by people all around the world.Some of its grerat, other is just okay. I leanred almost all of Scenes from a memory from it.Tab, for me anyway, is just a tool to make sure im in the general area.

I remember talking to jake e lee online about the tab i nthe guitar mags from Bark at the moon.He laughed because the cords were never right on the beggining riff.He tabed it out and i swear i dont know how his fingers stretch like that.

Anywho, www.dreamtheater.com can help you along your path of difficultly . Good luck!

Comment

I actually used to know all of Metropolis Pt. I about three years ago (minus whammy tricks and some of the leads) and it was a really fun song to play. The only part of the song that I hated was the bit around 7:05 because I always thought it sounded bad no matter what I played.

I also tried to learn the bass part to it more recently. The 'bass solo' section is so f'ing difficult (at least for me).

Comment

Also another thing is chromatics. Be sure to have them under your belts, because good ole John loves to whip 'em out.
                      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I learned Erotomania start to finish, decently. Didnt really practice it much, but sounded pretty good, played it out a few times. I absolutely HAD to learn it though, was very determined as it's one of my favorite instrumentals of all time.
                        www.myspace.com/madeaband
                        www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Working...
                        X